350 to 454 swp - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2001, 01:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 350 to 454 swp

i have a 79 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 my question is i would like to put a 454 in it but was wondering about the motor mounts. would i have to change them or would it slide right in. Anything else i would have to do to put in a 454?
thanks

there is no substitute for cubic inches
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2001, 02:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 350 to 454 swp

That's a very good question. The most accurate information I have on motor mounts would be from by Sealed Power engine kits / parts catalog. Sealed Power calls for motor mount part number 270-2292 for 350 powered K20 pickups from 1973 - 1986. Sealed Power calls for motor mount part number 270-2500 for 454 powered K20 pickups with either manual or automatic transmission 1979 - 1982. According to my Sealed Power catalog, the motor mounts will need to be changed to convert from a 350 V8 to a 454 V8 engine. I recently did a 454 to 350 conversion on a 78 C20 pickup and needed to change the 350 motor mounts to 454 motor mounts. I'd also like to add the motor mounts I'm talking about are bolted to the frame of the truck. The radiator for a 454 is different than the radiator for a 350. I think it would be wise to convert to a 454 cooling system. The only problem I know of with the 454 radiator upgrade would be the top radiator brackets that hold the radiator. To the best of my knowledge, GM no longer offers the 454 radiator hold down brackets.
dave

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-09-2001, 06:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a hell of a time finding the correct motor mounts. Yes, you can use SBC motor mounts but I don't think they are strong enough to handle the torque. After trying many different part #'s of mounts, I finally went to Energy Poly motor mounts which can handle the torque. Not sure on the top radiator mounts being discontinued but I was able to puchase mine 2 years ago and it's one long mount instead of being the separate brackets. I also got the BBC fan shroud to match the radiator. You'll also need the acc. brackets from a BBC. It is a simple swap though.

Shawn
87 K5
few mods

Old 06-09-2001, 07:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just did this on my '73 3/4-ton Suburban. Radiator top mount part number is GM #6262164. Only $15 from Chevy.

For the engine mounts, I used the stock small-block mounts with the Energy Suspension inserts, like Shawn did. I tried to use the big-block mounts, but the mounting hole pattern is different and wouldn't work.

If you are interested in other details about the swap, just let me know. I have all part numbers and prices, and everything is pretty fresh in my mind, since this was done very recently.

502Burban
Old 06-11-2001, 11:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a similar related question too. What about the cup shaped mount that bolts to the engine? Is it also the same on a big block as a small block? I know that I have read that Chevy cars built in the sixties use different versions of these mounts between the small and big blocks. They say they bolt together with no problems, it is just that they change the angle of the motor/trans which could cause driveshaft problems and the fan blades to hit the fan shroud.

Old 06-12-2001, 06:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are talking about the brackets between the engine block and the mounts, I used the ones that were on the small block when I installed the big block. No problems at all.

502Burban
Old 02-08-2011, 08:15 AM

JA454 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by **DONOTDELETE** View Post
Just did this on my '73 3/4-ton Suburban. Radiator top mount part number is GM #6262164. Only $15 from Chevy.

For the engine mounts, I used the stock small-block mounts with the Energy Suspension inserts, like Shawn did. I tried to use the big-block mounts, but the mounting hole pattern is different and wouldn't work.

If you are interested in other details about the swap, just let me know. I have all part numbers and prices, and everything is pretty fresh in my mind, since this was done very recently.

502Burban
I have a 84 chevy 4x4 I'm putting in a 454 so far I found small block engine brackets and mounts to fit but what headers do I need to clear the frame rails, does anyone know. I have already tried the hedman headers for the big block but no luck! I have also tried the 2wd hedman headers and no luck.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:03 AM
Journeyman

texas sub is on a distinguished road
Default hedders

i think you need the (shorty)headers they stop about at the back of the motor. some people i know run them upside down for clearance of the frame rails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.