How to remove rear wheel bearings? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2001, 07:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default How to remove rear wheel bearings?

How do you remove the rear wheel bearings on a 97 Yukon? I have the slide hammer but all it did was break the outer race, the bearing has not budged. It will not come out! Any ideas or tips? Thanks.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2001, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: How to remove rear wheel bearings?

I pulled a set using a slide hammer and it busted both races. My slide hammer has a 3 jaw puller that you can tighten it to push the jaws out and keep them tight agains the race. I just put it back in, retightened it and tried till they came out. If you have nothing left to hook the jaws on I would try a chisel. Even if you scuff the axle housing a little it shouldnt hurt because the bearing turns in the race and not in the axle housing. If you do scuff it you might want to use a round file to get the burrs off so the new bearing will go in as easy as possible.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-07-2001, 08:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used a acetyline tourch to remove mine...actually a few rollers and the outer race was all that was left of mine. I got all of the gear oil out then applied heat to the race a little at a time, the thinner race will burn before the heavier axle tube gets hot enough. I didnt have anything to loose, I started out looking for a new rear end and ended up having to fix my old one. Im running it with a tooth missing from the ring gear and pitiful looking spider gears. If you are not expirenced with a tourch, you should probally try something else.
Hope this helpes
Mike

Good Guys Wear Bow-Ties
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2001, 10:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I grenaded the rear diff in my `82 Blazer, I used a long piece (6'?) of electrical conduit. I had the diff and all the guts removed, of course, then slid the conduit through the opposite end of the axle (through the pipe)until it made contact with the bearing race on the other side of the axle. A couple blows with a 3# hammer around the bearing's race and the whole thing flies right out.

You should be able to do the same thing if you have both axle shafts out. Just slide the conduit through the holes in the differential where the axle shafts slide in. You should still be able to move a 1/2" piece of conduit around enough to get at the race on the bearings.

I tried all kinds of stuff and all I did was break the races. When I thought about using a pipe (as described above), I had both bearings & races out in under 5 minutes.

<font color=blue>I like animals. They taste good.</font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement