Eaton Rear Ends????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2001, 12:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Eaton Rear Ends?????

What years did chevy offer the heavy duty Eaton rear end? I'm thinking of swapping it into my rig. With factory 5.13 gears and a detroit, you can't go wrong! Thanks a lot.
kevin

In my family Ford is a cuss word.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2001, 10:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Eaton Rear Ends?????

Repost

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-15-2001, 11:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have heard bad things about Eatons, like hard to find parts and some had offset pumpkins. Stick with the 14 ff or Dana 70.
1973-. C/K 20 & C/K 30 models had an optional Eaton locking rear differential. It would lock the rear axle when there was a difference of 100 RPM's between the two rear wheels. It was governed, so that it would not lock at speeds above 15 MPH Info from http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/

Old 05-15-2001, 11:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The new Eaton Posi's and lockers are awesome. They are very nice, pricey, but nice. I put one in a friend's z28, and he likes it alot. about $420 for a 10bolt.

Rhino

Old 05-16-2001, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the replys guys but you're not answering my question. I want the whole rear end, the housing, axles, complete. Eaton offered a heavy duty 1 ton rear end in pre 1967 trucks. I just need to know what years those were. Also if any of you know of a web site that could tell me OEM specs on pre '67 trucks I'd be much obliged. Thanks a ton fellas.
kevin

Old 05-16-2001, 11:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have seen a few of Eaton rear axles but don't have any personal experience with them. Supposedly they are pretty strong and are easy to work on with the drop-out center section (ala Ford 9-inch), with the weak point being the axle shafts (16-spline, maybe???). Yes, some came from the factory with Detroit Lockers installed.
I think you already mentioned the bad point about them, they haven't been in production for many, many, many years, and I have heard that most replacement parts are not available any more.
My recommendation would be to call around to the axle shops and ask for parts availability.....at least make sure all of the normal wear items (aka bearings) are still easy to get.

6.2Blazer
Old 05-16-2001, 11:55 AM
Blazer1970

The Eaton rear ends were used from about 1947 until 1972. A lot of them had No-Slips (Detroit Locker), but the locker is no longer avaiable new.

'70 CST Blazer, 350, SM465, NP205.
'87 Suburban 4X4, 350, 700R4
'01 GMC 2500HD, Duramax/Allison
Old 05-16-2001, 10:34 PM
Veteran

298GMC is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll give you my opinion on these axles, If you already have one and want too use it instead of getting a newer axle go for it! If you don't already have one don't go out searching for one try too find a 14 boltFF instead, Now if you were out looking for the 14 bolt and stumbled upon on of them Eatons you could still buy it if you wanted.
My take on this hope it helps.

A Man a Dog and a Pickup it's a wondurful thing(sometimes)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2001, 02:10 AM
Mud in my Veins

AJMBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

BIG, BEEFY TO ALMOST INDESTRUCTABLE, DETROIT LOCKER IS NORMAL, LOW GEARS NORMAL ALSO, HARD TO FIND, HARD TO GET PARTS FOR..........

A 14 FF would be a better choice if you don't already have one. However, there's a kid on base here with a pretty cool 71 Chevy K20. He's got it on like 38" Swampers, and he told me he's toasted like 4 of the D44 fronts. He says all he has ever done to the Eaton rear is change the gear oil. "Never needs anything else."[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement