'89 Chevy 1500 codes, anyone know what they mean? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2001, 11:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default \'89 Chevy 1500 codes, anyone know what they mean?

I have an '89 Chevy 1/2 ton with TBI 350. I have read the codes off it and need help finding out what the codes are telling me. These are the codes that it's putting out: 12, 23, 24, 32, 33, 34, 44, 45. Can anyone tell me these codes mean? Thanks for any info.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2001, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: \'89 Chevy 1500 codes, anyone know what they mean?

12: Diagnostic - normal
23: Throttle position sensor
24: Vehicle speed sensor
32: EGR system
33: MAP sensor
34: MAP sensor
44: Lean exhaust
45: Rich exhaust
Sounds like something is really mixed up. I would first try disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes. This will re-set the memory, then drive the truck 50 miles or so, and re-check the codes.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-08-2001, 01:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

Sly
Is it even drivable?

Have you ckecked the timing chain and gears to see if it jumped a tooth.

It never fails, when Im turning wrenches on my truck and something can go wrong, it usaully does
Old 05-08-2001, 01:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HDFXB- Thanks for the codes. I've had people tell me it's probably the MAP sensor. I'll look into it.

The Kid- No, I can't really drive it. I could nurse it along but it would just cut out and back fire the whole time. I was going to try replacing the map sensor before I check the timing chain.

Old 05-08-2001, 01:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

Ill unplug mime todau and see how it runs with out it, I wouldnt think it make it run that bad.
see ya in a few

It never fails, when Im turning wrenches on my truck and something can go wrong, it usaully does
Old 05-08-2001, 09:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

u4ia4 is an unknown quantity at this point

on an old ranger my MAP went out. ran like crap. poured black sooty exhaust out and i was struggling for Hp. I'm guessing of you replace that you'll be fine and that might also be whats causing your mixture to be off. and as far as theEGR goes. just replace the bloody thing you mgitheven be able to get away with just cleanign it, but i"d get a new one if it was me doing it.
---Peacock

<font color=red>If it hasn't broken, let your girlfriend drive it...it'll break real quick</font color=red>
Old 05-14-2001, 03:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm reading a new code now. #42. Can anyone tell me what that one is?

Old 05-14-2001, 10:59 AM

Shorts is on a distinguished road

<font color=red>wait wait...</font color=red> scratch that first reply. i was responding thinking you had a 4L60E/4L80E(that would be the 42 is the Ignition control thing)

code 42... Electronic Spark Timing (EST) - ECM/PCM has seen an open or grounded EST or bypass circuit

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue> <-- It's not what you think [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ...and don't ask what it is

'94 Chevy K1500, with stuff...needs more stuff

Old 05-15-2001, 01:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

This code "42" seems to have developed just recently as I did not have it a few days ago. Any idea why it showed up or what I should check out?

Old 05-15-2001, 03:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

44 and 45, I`d be looking at the O2 sensor too.

Hockey: Five men running around in tights looking to score![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement