zerk on Moog upper balljoint? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2001, 09:49 PM
Veteran

90K5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default zerk on Moog upper balljoint?

I finally got the balljoints replaced, but I didn't have time to do it myself so I went ahead and had a shop do it[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] They put Moogs on and they greased them too[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I can't really tell, but is there supposed to be a zerk fitting to grease the upper balljoints on the bottom of the joint pointing toward the ground? there is a hole with grease coming out of it, but no zerk, and it seems like thats where it should be. There is not much room in there, I hope I dont have to take them out to grease them...in that case the shop will be kicking themselved for having a lifetime warranty on the ball joints when I come in every year for them to fix them...anyway, is there supposed to be a zerk fitting there? Can i get an angled one so I can grease these things? Thanks

90K5

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2001, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: zerk on Moog upper balljoint?

My '89 Jimmy has the stock joints in it and it has no grease zerks. Hope that helps you out. To me it seems not enough room to have greasers in there. Hope they used the right ball-joints. I'm assuming you also have a striaght axle.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-29-2001, 10:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lifetime most likely doesn't include labor. I have about 200 zerk fittings in my shop if you want to screw one into the hole let me know. I have 90's and straight ones.

Old 04-29-2001, 11:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Because of a lack of room, the ball joints come with a zerk and a plug. After being installed they are to be greased and then the zerk removed and pluged off. If there is a hole here they eather left in the zerk and it broke off when the axle hit it, or they lost or forgot the plug. Any way take it back to them and have them plug it off.

Old 04-30-2001, 10:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Moog has 2 styles for these trucks... K8194 and then the redesigned K8194T. The first set have the zerk at the bottom...sounds like this is what you have... a regular zerk like to break off... try a 90 degree one or get on of the zerks that take a pointed tip to grease... some u-jt's have these.... BTW... the T#'s have the zerks coming out the side and should be pointed towards the rear of the truck. Also lifetime warr. covers the part... Labor is outta your pocket... which on all 4 B-jt's in pretty big bucks...$400 or so.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
Old 04-30-2001, 03:53 PM
Veteran

Yeah, I know all about the labor, I just had to pay it[sad]

90K5

Old 04-30-2001, 03:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ive gotten parts befor where you had to screw in the zerk yourself. it came in a separate bag in the box. maybe they forgot or lost em.

everything's bigger in TEXAS!
Old 04-30-2001, 06:40 PM
Veteran

The ball joint on the drivers side had one, and the passenger side didn't. I put one on there - ROYAL PITA - and hopefully I will figure out a way to grease them. The only one that would fit was a straight piece, and it almost touches the front axle yoke. Has anyone ever heard of an extension you can put on the grease gun that has a 90 deg end on it, or something I could use to reach it?

90K5

Old 04-30-2001, 09:40 PM
Veteran

Someone mentioned a pointed tip on a grease gun...does that connect to the normal style grease gun, and will I have to change the zerks out again? That took a lot of work to get that thing in there on the balljoint already installed.

90K5

Old 04-30-2001, 10:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The point tip just screws on to a reg grease gun. It will also be tough to get in there. Have you tried the 90 degree Zerks? Seems they would work great. Also they do make a fitting for the grease gun you can grease the regular zerk with the grease gun fitting 90 degrees from it... can't remeber what they call it, but iof you go to a parts store and explain the problem they'll be able to find it. My fitting and grease gun are Lincolns so you could always find a way to contact them. Good lucK!

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement