95 Tahoe ABS Light - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2001, 01:26 PM
98z71

Default 95 Tahoe ABS Light

The ABS light in my sister's 95 Tahoe came on yesterday. I am looking for some diagnosis tips. I will check the sensors and wiring for any problems(i.e. cracked, broken, etc.). Is there any way to check the sensors with a volt meter to see if they are electrically sound(continuity/resistance). The sensor for the rear wheels is mounted to the output of the transfer case, right? Is there a scanner just for ABS codes? My OTC mindreader doesn't list any ABS codes in its manual and I was wondering how to access them. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

98 Z71
K&N F/C,4" Rancho[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img],33"SwamperSSR,Hellas
Edelbrock IAS,Hypertech,Manik Brushguard
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2001, 05:53 PM

Shorts is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 95 Tahoe ABS Light

the '95s are OBDI, which means you can get the codes using a paper clip. just find the little data link connector thing just under the dash below the steering column. you need to make the connection between the A and H terminals: A (ground) is the the top row on the very right; H is on the bottom row, second square from the left. watch the <font color=red>anti-lock</font color=red> light on the dash...count the flashes in groups...for instance, a group of 4 flashes and a group of 3 flashes means a code of 43.

i have a list of codes from chilton's....so if you can, get the code and post it. then i'll let you know what that trouble code is.

BTW, 12 and 14 are not trouble codes. usually, 12 is the initial start up code that the computer uses to signal interface.

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue> <-- It's not what you think [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ...and don't ask what it is

'94 Chevy K1500, with stuff...needs more stuff

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-12-2001, 06:08 PM

ok...here's the list of codes...

<font color=red>21: right front speed sensor or circuit open</font color=red>
<font color=blue>22: missing right front speed signal</font color=blue>
23: erratic right front speed signal
<font color=red>25: left front speed sensor or circuit open</font color=red>
<font color=blue>26: missing left front speed signal</font color=blue>
27: erratic left front speed signal
<font color=red>29: simultaneous drop-out of front speed sensors</font color=red>
<font color=blue>35: vehicle speed sensor or open circuit</font color=blue>
36: missing vehicle speed sensor signal
<font color=red>37: erratic vehicle speed sensor signal</font color=red>
<font color=blue>38: wheel speed error</font color=blue>
41 through 54: control valves
<font color=red>61 through 63: reset switches</font color=red>
<font color=blue>65 and 66: open or shorted pump motor relay</font color=blue>
67: open motor circuit or shorted BPMV output
<font color=red>68: locked motor or shorted motor circuit</font color=red>
<font color=blue>71 through 74: memory errors</font color=blue>
81: brake switch circuit shorted or open
<font color=red>86: shorted anti-lock indicator lamp</font color=red>
87: shorted brake warning lamp

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue> <-- It's not what you think [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ...and don't ask what it is

Old 04-13-2001, 01:09 AM
98z71

thanks Shorts. Info will be very helpful when I tackle this headache saturday. i purchased a Chilton's manual this afternoon. amazing how much more info(specs for sensors, etc.), it contains than my Haynes manual("dealer serviced item").

98 Z71
K&N F/C,4" Rancho[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img],33"SwamperSSR,Hellas
Edelbrock IAS,Hypertech,Manik Brushguard
Old 04-13-2001, 09:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My light came on on my '95 p/u and they told me the ABS motor was bad. And that I would have to replace it to get my ABS to work. I didn't bother because I didn't think I could lock my 35's up. I ended up just pulling the light from the dash. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Easy fix if you're not worried about safety.

Old 04-13-2001, 02:03 PM

good deal...good luck fixin' the trouble [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

the money i spent on the chilton's was the best investment i made concerning the maintenance of my truck. I consult my <font color=blue>"Asst. mechanic"</font color=blue> for pretty much everything....i need to go get some clear book cover vinyl stuff cause i don't want to wear out the color on the front [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue> &lt;-- It's not what you think [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ...and don't ask what it is

Old 04-13-2001, 07:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey shorts is there a way to check abs on a 96 it has the obd2 without a tool?

4x4k20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement