Tow ropes keep breaking.... what do you guys use? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2001, 04:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Tow ropes keep breaking.... what do you guys use?

Well, the other day I was out touring with my 83 K5 Blazer 4x4. I saw a track that had about 8 inches of water in the tracks and soild and dry inbetween the tracks. I started to drive down it, and about 50 feet down it the axles started to drag and I got stuck. So the axles were hung up on the solid ground and the tires would just spin in the tracks. So I walked back to my house, and got out my 1980 1/2 ton 4x4 to come pull it out. I got back out, and after about 10 minutes of trying, I had dug my truck down far enough to get its axles hung up. So I walked back to the house yet again and loaded up my 75 Blazer 4x4 with jackall, planks, shovel, etc. I tried to get my truck unstuck for about an hour, but it wouldnt come out, so I decided to try and pull it out with the 75 Blazer, when I was trying, the two rope snapped and went through the grill of my 80.... didnt hit the rad though for some strange reason. So Im all mad and try to move the Blazer back out onto dry ground..... damn, its stuck too. So now I have all three of my 4x4s stuck, and am gettin pissed off!! I walk back to the house yet again and call my friend from town that has an 87 dodge 4x4. He came out and pull out the 75 Blazer and my truck. But he couldnt budge the 83 Blazer neither. So we kept trying and trying, and ended up snapping my other tow rope, and we snapped his three times (we kept fixing it). By that time it was dark and cold out, so we decided to leave it till the next day. The next day I went to town and bought another $60 tow rope, a big guy! We go back out, and are trying some more to get it out. We move the 83 about 5 feet, then we notice my new tow rope is half ripped already!!! The reason this one is ripping though it because it rubs on the bumper when trying to pull. The other ones snapped just right out in the middle of the rope. So we spend another about 5 hours out there, and still dont get it out. So I am wondering... what can I use to get this out? Tow rope wont work cause it rubs then will break. Is is safe to use chain as a tow rope?

Thanks!!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2001, 05:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Tow ropes keep breaking.... what do you guys use?

Don't use chain.
It could easily kill someone. How hard are you yanking anyway? Also are these snatch straps or tow ropes?
Tow ropes are just that, made for emergency towing not tugging out a stuck 4x4.
Use a good 40k snatch strap and good attachment points and you should be in good shape.
You'll also need to get the truck on it's tires so it'll roll.
Lift it with a high-lift and put stuff under the tires so it's off the axles.
Good luck, be safe, have fun.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-07-2001, 05:26 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Well, when we get really REALLY stuck here in SD, we either get a tow truck, or the all mighty TRACTOR! Yes, a tractor can pull out anything but another tractor.

As for tow ropes, get a tractor tow rope! It's about as big as your fore arm and has hude hooks on the end. They retail for about 100, but they are tough. They pull 8 wheel tractors with them. Whooooo! They look like a piece of huge braided rope, usually bylon and blue, with black rubber on the ends.

Well, thats all I got.

Resurrection Joe - Head Commander/Unit Seven
Old 04-07-2001, 05:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Snatch strap? I have never heard of one. All I know is that the one that I bought for $60 has a load limit on it of 25,000 pounds, which I though was plenty. WHat is a snatch strap? Couldnt a tow rope with metal hooks on the end kill someone as easily as a chain?

Thanks

Old 04-07-2001, 05:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Sandman_454 is an unknown quantity at this point

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Yes, metal hooks on tow straps/snatch straps are very bad, as they can become projectiles when the strap lets go. Use ONLY straps with looped ends. When you use a strap, keep a heavy blanket or some carhartt jackets on the line itself so if it lets go, it just drops to the ground rather than possibly swinging around. Don't use chain either. Same reason mentioned above.

You want Recovery straps, which should be the same as snatch straps. You need good attach points. Try if at all possible to avoid wrapping it around the bumper. Tow hooks on the front and a reese style hitch on the back (not the hitch ball, but the hitch itself work well. Take some heavy cloth (old jeans would work great), and put it over the strap wherever it might rub on anything that could be abrasive. Start off slowly. First just get the slack out of the strap. Then once that happens you can start to put the hammer down... That way you minimize the stresses involved and increase your success rate. </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
Old 04-07-2001, 08:31 PM
Mud in my Veins

AJMBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a 50,000lb one for $50 something. I think you need to go look elsewhere.

All I've used it for though was a stuck 3 wheeler.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 3" Flowmaster 40 DF, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2001, 11:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you have a Tractor Supply, you can get up to an 8-inch wide strap, although you don't need it, but then again, you may . btw-have you considered a winch?

Old 04-07-2001, 11:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I dont know exactly what its like where your at but the last time I got bad stuck I ended renting a chain/geared come a long, 30 bucks for 2 and very slow (for every 8 foot of the small chain I pulled the big chain went about an inch) but worked great, theyll pull anything. They will definately be added soon to my offroad arsenal. But a good heavy winch and kit is first on my list. I also have to admit that the toy did an excellent job threw the snow and doing recovery duty

Heres a pic of that last stuck with the hoists attached. Its alot worse then it looks and im not used to snow wheeling in Las Vegas!!!!

<font color=red> 90 X-Cab Toyota V6 5Speed, 4 inch procomp, 3 inch DC, 35x 12.50 BFG Baja's.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font color=red> 87 K5 Blazer Silverado. The womans wrecked ride 3/26/01.......Grrrrr
<font color=red> 84 Sami SJ410 Playtoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-389860-comalong1.jpg (41.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-08-2001, 10:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey 80, use & believe only in CHAIN !!

Old 04-08-2001, 10:46 PM
Veteran

90K5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd try putting some long boards under the diff's to see if they will slide on them so they wont keep gettign buried. That is if you can wedge them down under there.

90K5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.