IFS vs. solid axle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2001, 10:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default IFS vs. solid axle

Is there a "Better" system? What good and bad points do they both have?
If IFS is bad why do Hummers use them?

Just some of my thoughts

1999 Chevrolet Slverado Ext Cab 4x4
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2001, 10:30 AM

Shorts is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IFS vs. solid axle

"better" system for what? On road, you can't beat IFS comfort and ride...offroad, straight axle takes the cake. <font color=blue>depends on what you need/want.</font color=blue>

so does this start the IFS -vs- straightaxle debate <font color=red>again??</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] have you tried a search?

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue> <-- It's not what you think [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-22-2001, 10:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shorts:

"offroad, straight axle takes the cake"

I don't think the desert off-roader would agree..

I don't agree.
I'll give you rock climbing. And Mud bogging.. Hard core only.........

Allen-

2K "Sinister" Silverado with 6" Superlift and 35"x13.5x16 Baja Claws. 5.3L with 4.10, Ext-cab. Deep tinted windows
Old 03-22-2001, 10:52 AM

Shorts is on a distinguished road

quadcab, you're right. i was just being somewhat vague in my post. that's why i asked better for what?

a lot of the offroading that i get do is through the farm roads, woods, washouts, and stuff like that. while i like going out in my truck....(please don't stone me).....i'm more confident when i'm driving the dodge to take on the really big stuff.

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue> &lt;-- It's not what you think [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2001, 11:06 AM
Veteran

REBEL_WITH_A_4X4 is an unknown quantity at this point

IFS is a great thing. I think it can be very useful if it is designed properly. However it is my opinion that for the types of trails I go down solid is the only way to go. Ifs has many advantages over solid axles ie. smoother ride, higher center clearance, better control when suspension is being pounded at a high rate of speed. But then again solid axle performs well too. Aritculation!!!! it is beefier and more durable, it can handle much larger tires, easier to keep aligned, fewer vulnerable parts, cheaper to maintain, more aftermarket stuff available, I don't know if it is true for all but I think that you have more axle drag in mud and snow, But that is ok because of the allowed use of larger tires.

Well, hope that partially made sense

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]<font color=green>Have you driven <font color=red>OVER <font color=green>a ford lately<font color=orange>?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement