'96 chevy transmission problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2001, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default \'96 chevy transmission problem

I have a '96 chevy z71 with a 305. The 4L60E transmission went out at about 105,000. I had it rebuilt and afterwards installed a 3" body lift and 285x75x16's. It now has 116,000 miles and the transmission is burnt up again. It is in the process of being rebuilt again and I have now ordered a hypertech programmer to set the speedometer. I am being told that there is a computer problem in the 96 year pickups that is causing it to keep burning trannys. The first time it went out I lost 2nd gear. This time I've lost drive and overdrive. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2001, 07:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: \'96 chevy transmission problem

you are the first one that i heard of that kind of problem with the 4L60E they are one of the best gm transmissions gm ever built i have owned several they all have lasted well over a 150000 miles sound like who ever rebuilt yours did something wrong i have had them rebuilt with the same luck you have i havent found any shop that can rebuild this one or the 4LE80 to where it would last as long as a new one if there is anyone out there that works at a trans shop that beleive that they can tell me

4x4k20
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-19-2001, 05:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: \'96 chevy transmission problem

Well, I talked to 2 different dealers today and they told me the same, that there is nothing wrong with my computer. And that my programmer will do more than they can do and take care of any updates needed. I don't know who to beleive. I guess I'm gonna see what happens. Hopefully the tranny will hold together this time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement