Exhaust Manifold Plugs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2001, 04:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Exhaust Manifold Plugs

I have an 86 Suburban and I am looking for plugs to close the air pump holes in the exhaust manifolds. I have not had any luck finding them other than an oil drain plug for $4.75 and I need 8 of the things! Where should I be looking? Are they 7/8" 18 count threads or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2001, 01:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Exhaust Manifold Plugs

If I remember correctly, they are pipe threads. Go to a regular hardware store and you should have better luck.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-10-2001, 01:12 PM
Pooh-Bah

Scoobydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Ace hardware!

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
Old 03-10-2001, 06:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Sandman_454 is an unknown quantity at this point

<font face="Comic Sans MS">If you have trouble finding a plug for it, go to the hardware store. If the pipe plugs don't fit, buy a tap that'll work with the pipe plugs, and tap the manifolds to accept them. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] That's what I'd do anyhow. Also, I'd probably put a tiny little tack weld on each of them just to be sure they won't back out very easily... But that's likely not necessary. </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
Old 03-10-2001, 07:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I tried the hardware store, farm supply, fastener places, farm equipment dealers, welding shops and auto dealers and none could help (other than the oil drain plugs0. This is not pipe thread it is a inverse flare fitting (I know because I had a guy tell me that....). I went to NAPA and they think they can order these for me. I'll let you know if they really can. I won't get them until Wednesday, then I'll have to get the thing back together... I'll write when I get done. I also had a suggestion from a mechanic friend that I weld the nuts closed and reinstall them... We shall see!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 03-10-2001, 07:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmm, it was not a late model SB but I swear I remember using standard pipe plugs. Oh well, good luck.

Bad Dog

Old 03-10-2001, 09:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dude, I have manifolds for 1979 305, if you think they would fit they are yours. You will need to only send a check for the postage on the box when you get it. Let me know, my profile has email link but I prefer private message because my antivirus software locks up my email now and then. I have pics of manifolds and will measure them. Frank

Old 03-11-2001, 12:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you have the tubes that came out of it have someone weld the end shut and install just the end thats what I do.

88 (SPORT)1500 4X4 6in. SUPERLIFT, 35X12.50 BFG AT

Old 03-11-2001, 12:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, that makes more sense that wasting allot of time looking for plugs.

Bad Dog

Old 03-14-2001, 02:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I found that the oil drain plugs I first found are the only solution without retapping the manifold or welding the caps shut (both good ideas).

I took the drain plugs and put lock washers under them and sealed the threads with exhaust patch and it seems fine!!!

In case you or someone else is looking for the plugs (a couple of my caps were trashed in removal...) They are Motormite Part #65231 7/8" - 18 Standard oil drain plugs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.