more power for 454 tbi - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2001, 10:29 PM
Can't Get Enough

desertrat67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default more power for 454 tbi

Alright, I have an '88 crew cab with a tbi 454. the only mod I have done so far is a tbi spacer. what other mods(not internal) would give me a bit more power to move this beast. The 38's and 4.10's don't move it like it used to (given).

kill something everyday, no matter how small, just to remain proficient.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2001, 11:10 PM
Mud in my Veins

AJMBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: more power for 454 tbi

Okay, starting from the top.

1) A good tune up with quality components. MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor spark plug wires, good quality cap and rotor, MSD high performance coil (I think they make one for your engine, I have on on my 350), AC Delco spark plugs (the basic cheap ones, the all are about the same) that are gapped .010 over, so the gap is at .045 (I can do this because of the MSD wires and coil), good quality AC Delco spark plugs, Mobil 1 or AC Delco oil filter, your favorite oil, Bosche oxygen sensor, new tranny filter and tranny juice if you have an auto, new gear oil if you have a manual. Probably wouldn't hurt to lube up everything that has a zerk and change your differential and transfer case fluids either.

2) An improved air intake, ranging from just a drop in K&N air filter to the cold air intake system I have from http://www.ramairbox.com. This always helps.

3) High performance throttle body from http://www.TurboCity.com.

4) MSD ignition box, I am going to get the Offroad model, but they all are good.

5) Headers. I like the JBA ones, but it's really up to you because you know what you want them to do for you. Whatever you do, get them coated with the AirBon or Jet Hot stuff. It makes it so your headers won't rust and don't retain as much heat. Adds a bit to the intial cost, but is worth it in the long run, since you aren't replacing headers every few years (or months, depending on your location).

6) Go to your favorite exhaust shop, and have them make you a custom exhaust, with as few restrictions as possible. Make sure it is all mandrel bent, none of that hardware store kinked pipe s#$t. I'm not certain if your truck has 1 or 2 cats stock, but if it has one you can <font color=red>legally</font color=red> only have 1 pipe. If it has two, then you can <font color=red>legally</font color=red> run duals. Whichever, get some high flow catalytic convertors when you do. Some good mufflers help too. I have a 3" in/out Flowmaster 40 series Delta Flow muffler. Not extremely loud, but definately loud and sounds great. Having a good exhaust shop that you trust will result in a better exhaust than you could ever buy from a kit, and also will more than likely be cheaper or the same as just the purchase of a kit. My advice though, stay away from cherry bombs, glass packs, Gibson mufflers, and Borla mufflers. Just not worth it.

7) I dunno if Edelbrock offers one for your 454, but they make a Performer series intake manifold for my TBI 350. Just bolts on in place of the stock manifold, and everything else just attaches to it like they did to the stock manifold. Good thing if they make one for you.

8) A high performance chip. I like the ones http://www.fastchip.com makes. Unlike the major name brand chips, Fastchip's do not require you to run 92 octane (<font color=green>$$$$$</font color=green>) and offer performance increases all through the rpm range, not just at the upper ranges where 4x4's never seem to be.

I have the air intake with K&N filter, MSD 8.5mm wires, a 1" TBI spacer, the MSD high performance coil for my truck, a 3" mandrel bent exhaust pipe from the Y pipe back with a 3" in/out Car Sounds catalytic convertor and the Flowmaster muffler I mentioned above, Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic oil with a Mobil 1 oil filter, Mobil 1 synthetic Dexron III ATF fluid in my transmission and transfercase, a Bosche oxygen sensor, and Mobil 1 75w90 synthetic gear lube in both differentials. Everything else I want to do, and will do as soon as I find that million dollars I left somewhere.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 3" Flowmaster 40 DF, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-08-2001, 08:39 PM
Can't Get Enough

Hey, Thanks for the help AJM.

Old 03-08-2001, 11:14 PM
Mud in my Veins

No problemo, tell us how it goes.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 3" Flowmaster 40 DF, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2001, 12:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, here's my deal. Get bang per buck. Headers will help alot. A good exhaust system will help. Also, a chip will greatly help. Superchips are good, hypertech works, but I would take the prior. An MSD box only works if you upgrade the whole ignition system. I will disagree with probably everyone here, the MSD wires are not worth the money for a 4x4. I like the Champion ceramic booted wires. Work THE BEST for headers, and they are still 8mm wires. They are the only set I have had last over 50k. They are lifetime. Sold by Napa. For plugs, I would go to Bosch platinum. Cheap and good performance. I would also go do a tune up. Gear oil does not improve performance of an engine, but tranny fluid will. It will increase the lag between shifts though, as long as the tranny is still healthy.

Rhino

Old 03-10-2001, 03:18 PM
Can't Get Enough

Well, I got the throttle body spacer installed. Looking at the injector spacers now. Anyone used this yet. It lifts the injectors up a bit higher than stock. said to let the fuel atomize more before entering the combustion chamber or something.

Old 03-10-2001, 03:19 PM
Can't Get Enough

Oh, no updates on performance yet for this install

Old 03-10-2001, 10:23 PM
Veteran

90K5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the injector spacers on mine, but they were already on it when I bought it, It sounds like they should help, and not too expensive. The thing you could do now would be to change gears to something better suited to 38s, like 4.88s or 5.13s maybe

90K5

Old 03-10-2001, 10:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You know, I don't know anything about these spacers everyone keeps talking about. I just gotta ask, aren't the TB spacers and injector spacers mainly to move your HP and TQ peaks higher in the rpm range? Do they help low rpm power too?

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.
Old 03-10-2001, 11:03 PM
Mud in my Veins

Supposedly they raise your HP peaks, not your torque. I hope they don't raise your torque peak, cause if they do mine is coming off. I have a 1" one, and I figure the little bit of extra HP it gives me up high helps me on the highway and at high speed stuff. It isn't hurting anything being there, and you need to drive down the road to get to the trail after all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.