muffler placement? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2001, 10:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default muffler placement?

Just wonderin if it would be better to run the muffler closer or futher away from the motor. Im redoing my exhaust with a flowtech 3" all the way out the back instead of in front of the rear tire.
Im thinking it would be better to run it further away but not sure. Im trying to quite it down a little, but still have the deep tone.
Thanks
The Kid

Sometimes [censored] happens.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2001, 10:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

u4ia4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: muffler placement?

Yup, go right out the back. Long straight pipes do deaden the volume a little bit. Try to keep as many bends out of it as you can or you'll begin to lose power. I've got 3" true duals straight out the back and i love them. nice low rumblu, but doesn;t get too loud...well if i hoit the go pedal real hard with the clutch in it does attract some attention, but it's a good overall tone. Good luck with it
---Peacock

If it hasn't broken, you haven't had it in the dirt yet.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-26-2001, 10:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ya Im running all the way to the back, but was wonderin wether it would be better to install the muffler right behind the motor then run the rest to the back, or if I should place the muffler closer to the axle and then have a short tail pipe that goes up over the axle. Im lookin to quite it down a bit. But not to quite if you know what I mean.
Thanks

Old 02-26-2001, 11:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

sory bout that, i totally bleew that post eh? yeah, i'd run it closer to the engine. I"m not sure if there is any really good reson for this, but the guy that did mine used to buil eliminations systems for NHRA top fuel dragsters....seems like he knows what he's doing...anyways he put mone closer to the engine. The only reason i can think of is that the frame is lower up front due to the bends in it. this offers the mufflers more protection while o nthe trail...aside from that I"m not sure. I don;t think it really matters all that much, but for what its worth, i'd put it closer to the front

Old 02-26-2001, 11:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

um......u4ia4.....not to be degrading or anything nor am i putting down your exhaust guy but there isnt much to "building systems for NHRA top fuel dragsters" all they have is headers that point at about a 45degree angle away from the engine. 4 tubes welded together on each side. like a very simple header....
as for the post - i believe that the more pipe the exhaust runs through the quieter it gets so by placing the muffler closer to the engine, it should be a bit quieter

Mike ~
Earnhardts Forever

"You can't let one bad moment spoil a bunch of good ones."--Dale Earnhardt
Old 02-27-2001, 08:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I thought itd be better to run it further from the motor because there would be less force on it so it wouldnt be as loud.

Old 02-27-2001, 08:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Forgive me for comparing a minivan to you truck but I had a muffler put on my caravan and I didn't have the money for the resonator so I didn't have it put on. Basically the muffler sits under the drivers seat then goes a ways to the back. There is a low frequency droan at certain speeds thats resonates thru the whole vehicle, I will get the resonator put on soon. In effect it will have two mufflers, one front and one near the exit. Moral of the story , you might get this droaning if the muffler is placed forward to far. If you like a quite truck or commute you should consider this. Frank

Old 02-27-2001, 08:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

MPHZ71, I uderstand that there's not a whole lot to actually build. i should have been a bit clearer about it. It my understanding that the top fuel dragsters are built for Hp and Torque. Seemed to me like if he could build a system of exact lengths and diameters for these high performance dragstes, then he could probably design a system for me. perhaps his previous employments didn't make him any more qualified than a pizza delivery boy, but the system he welded up for me is rock solid and sounds great.
---Peacock

Old 02-28-2001, 01:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

THANKS FOR HELPING
The Kid

Sponsored Links
Advertisement