SM465 Swap? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2001, 04:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default SM465 Swap?

Today, while day dreaming in class, I thought about putting an SM465 tranny in my truck, currently, I have the 700R-4, how hard is it to convert from an auto to manual? Is installing the clutch pedal difficult? Will it bolt to my NP-241, and do I need to get a new flywheel? Also, does the SM465 have overdrive? If its not, do you think it would be worth it to add an overdrive unit? How much power can these trannies handle? I hear their bullet proof, but I just want to be sure, as I want to run a high horsepower big block some day.

89 K1500 Skyjacker 2.5" 33" SSR's
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]Friends dont let friends drive Fords[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2001, 08:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: SM465 Swap?

Top, c'mon guys help me out

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]Friends dont let friends drive Fords[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-22-2001, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did it on a 75 model suburban. I thought installing the clutch/brake pedal metal housing was the hardest. On my year ,everything else was bolt on. You would need to change out your flexplate and install a flywheel.Then you will need a bellhousing,clutch,linkages,465 tranny, Not sure if a 465 will bolt up to your transfer, have your driveshafts modified,reverse light switch that goes on 465, I might be willing to sell everything I have sometime in the future-building new truck-planning stages right now. A 465 is one of the toughest trannys out there but it has no overdrive-not sure if it would be worth the $$$$$ to add one

Old 01-23-2001, 12:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I swapped my 700R-4/NP?? combo out of an '86 1/2 ton for an SM465/NP205 combo out of an '74(!!) 1/2 ton. The tranny and xfer had never had anything done to them. The swap was the toughest thing I've ever done. It's a DAMN heavy setup, bulky, and hard to move around. But I'd do it again in a minute!!!! SM465 is a 4 speed with 1st being xlow and 4th 1:1. Had to have both drive shafts made, change and move crossmember, clutch pedals were a bitch, still havn't gotten to the backup lights. If anything is going to hold up to a BB, than this will. You'll need to change your flexplate to a flywheel, install pilot berring in your crank. My setup has had the one oil change I gave before installing, and has NEVER EVER given my any touble. I even have another setup waiting to be installed in my next project. I love them.

Old 01-23-2001, 02:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

After asking around I discover, it takes some fabrication to get a 465 in my year truck, I hear that an NV4500 is just like the 465, just as tough, except it has an over drive 5th gear. Its a direct bolt in to. I didnt think NV4500's were that strong. I will try find a donor truck with a 350, rebuild the 350, and put the NV4500 in to. If it has bucket seats, this is a plus, as I want to put buckets in as well.

Old 01-23-2001, 02:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Be prepared to spend some cash. I believe NV4500s are very expensive. Would be nice to have that overdrive though.

Old 01-23-2001, 04:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just swapped out a TH350 in my `84 for an SM465/NP205 combo. The clutch wasn't all that bad to install, but my truck already had a manual trans in it at one time so the hole was already in the firewall for the clutch master cylinder.

If you do decide to swap in a 465, you will have to take care in buying the flywheel - you need to know if your engine has a 2-piece (through 1986) or 1-piece (1986 on) oil seal. The back of the crank shafts are different and the flywheels / flexplates that bolt on are not interchangeable between the two.

Also, GM had two styles of SM465's out there - hydraulic clutch and manual linkage (cable) clutch. The two transmissions are interchangeable with the two clutch setups, but the bellhousings aren't. I'd recommend going with a hydraulic clutch setup.

You'll need...

Complete clutch pedal assembly that includes master & slave cylinders plus the hydraulic line
Resurfaced flywheel
New clutch (pressure plate, clutch disk, throwout bearing, pilot bearing)
Clutch fork
1 big hole in your transmission tunnel cover (hump over tranny inside cab)

You will likely need more stuff, but these are the basics to get the truck on the road with an SM465.

<font color=blue>Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement