366 Engine? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2001, 07:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 366 Engine?

Has anyone ever heard of a 366 Big Block engine?
There is one in the paper, and I heard the guy say it is a big truck engine?
Any info on this engine? any websites?
TIA

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=blue>1980 Chevy Scottsdale - 396 - TH350 - NP205 - Dana 60/Corp 14 combo - 40" TSL's - 4 different colors - pics real soon </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2001, 09:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 366 Engine?

I have heard of the 366 engine. It is an engine used mostly in the 2 ton - 4 ton GM trucks. The 366 block is known as a tall big block. The reason for the tall big block is due to the pistons used in truck engines. The truck tall big block engine uses 4 rings on the piston so the deck height is about .250" taller than the passenger/light truck big block. Now for the bad news about the tall big block, most of the aftermarket passenger/light truck big block engine performance parts (like intake manifolds) will NOT[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] interchange with the tall big block. My personal opinion, do not purchase the 366. The tall big block could be used to make an awesome[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] stroker engine, but the budget needed to make a stroker tall big block is very expensive[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img].
dave

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-21-2001, 11:33 AM
RolngThun

dave, as always is right on. They make the 366 and a 427 tall block, truck block, marine block, which ever you choose to call it.
The 366 has very small bores, the 427 would be better with it's larger bore. They are all 4 bolt mains, and have steel cranks. The two share the same stroke of 3.76, not sure if I remember that number correctly but it is very close.
There is alot more parts available due to them becomming so popular with guys stroking them like dave mentioned. But the small bores of the 366 makes it a bad choice for even that. For the weight versus cubes you would be better off with a small block.
These engines also have govenored carbs to keep the rpms real low, like around 4500 max.
Find a 427T, install 4" 454 crank to make tall block 454, or install 4.25 crank for around 496 cubes.

Old 01-22-2001, 01:34 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Yup, it's 3.76" for a 427 stroke. Wasn't sure if the 366 shared that or not. That would indeed be a very small bore for such a long stroke engine. I'd avoid it. The tall-deck 427 is much sought after for performance buildups though. Buddy of mine has the 4.25" crank, but is at just 488" as he only went .030 over on the bore. He got a good one as it seems like you almost always need at least .060 to clean up a RAT.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

Old 01-22-2001, 04:17 PM
RolngThun

Yes Tex, I was referring to a 4.310 bore to get the 496.
This can be done with a short deck case also. But with the .400 higher deck height provides more room for longer rods. So not as much clearancing problems between the crank counter weights and piston skirts.
I saw a guy with the name of Tex selling a Power Pro jeep mud dragger in Mother In laws garage newspaper. I then had to wonder if it could be the same Tex?
GM only made two strokes for the big block, 4" for the 454 and 502, all the rest use the 3.76.
Old 01-22-2001, 07:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi,
In response to your question...yes a 366 big block chevy engine does exist.I am not sure if it is a tall deck or not though.I own a 69 camaro with a 454 big block (635hp)
and I have quite a bit of information upon big block chevys,and a few of the books have mentioned the 366 bbc.
It was installed in trucks only.

mike

Old 01-23-2001, 10:57 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>I saw that one too - different "TEX" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Actually, I'm on the lookout for one for a friend of mine. Found a nice one in SD for a friend last year & now another guy is wanting one for his 482. That S-10 bodied machine sold before he could get it & the one "TEX" is selling in UT has a bad engine (my pal HAS a 482 for it, but didn't want to pay for a "turnkey" car that needs an engine).</font color=purple>

TEX

Old 01-23-2001, 04:19 PM
RolngThun

Funny how he failed to mention the bad engine in his ad.
9 grand with a bad engine is alot more then I would pay.
A friend of mine brought axles to Power Pro. Gary built him a rolling chassis, with body, chain drive mounted and four wheel brakes, steering set up, the whole nine yards for around 7500. He has to install his engine, electronics, fuel system, seat and sheet metal, stuff like that.
What is your friend looking for? I know of two cars for sale up here. Neither is a Power Pro but both very nice cars.

Old 01-24-2001, 12:48 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>I don't know that he necessarily has to have a Power Pro chassis, but something professionally done. He built a chassis himself many years ago that wasn't too competitive & the fact that he's willing to BUY now makes me believe he's really wanting to step it up. He's currently running a full-bodied, stock wheelbase Land Cruiser with a 477 CID, & NOS. Has run as quick as 3.0 for 125' on uncut 39.5" Boggers. He'll be looking to go below 2.5 for the same distance. Would prefer one geared for an unblown engine & set up for BBC. I think he might be willing to travel to pick up a chassis. If ya have any details and/or pictures of what's for sale, why don't ya e-mail me:

mudslideq78@yahoo.com

Thanks, </font color=purple>

TEX

Old 08-04-2001, 06:52 PM
Veteran

RyanB is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I know this post was made about a while ago but I just had to bring it back because I bought one of them today. I got a great deal...AGAIN[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] or so I think anyway!!! it is out of a 1986 2Ton tow truck. I found it up north and it only had 120,000kms on it and the guy pulled it out to put in a 8.1L desiel instead.

Anyway, I know it has a small bore but really I was just looking for a BBC that was blown(cracked block or broken crank) for cheap for a mock motor for my puller so I can do all the suspension work and test for clearence. The cheapest 454 I could find here at home with 300 miles on it and in bad bad shape was $600Cdn or $400US. So I was up north and stopped at this guys place and he said tell ya what...$350!!!! and I said DEAL!!!

I don't care if it does have a small bore because even if I want it for back up motor for the puller I can bore the thing .125 over and give it a 4.250 Stroke making close to 440Cubes. (I have been doing some reading!)

Anyway, it also has an almost brand new 4 barrel holley carb on it which is worth about what I paid for the hole engine so I think the price was right.

What do you all think??? Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement