chevy 350 question? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2001, 01:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default chevy 350 question?

This may be a dumb question, but can I run my engine (chevy 350) with the valve covers off to look at and adjust the valves? and if so, what precautios do i need to take to stop oil from flying everywhere? THANKS!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2001, 01:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: chevy 350 question?

You can modify an old set of valve covers, cut the top off to do this, or just let the oil drip and have a mess.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-15-2001, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the oil will just "dripp", not get flung everywhere?

Old 01-15-2001, 02:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Shaggy is an unknown quantity at this point

<font face="Times New Roman"size=2>
<font color=green>It will drip very quickly, generally right onto the hot exhaust manifolds, causing a nice smoky mess. If you have old cheapie valve covers on the truck now, just modify them, it's a good excuse to buy some nice pretty new ones for your engine anyways[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

Evan[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
</font color=green>

Old 01-15-2001, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hmmmmm, sounds like fun, i have no old valve covers, just new $70 chrome edelbrock ones......haha, so wish me luck, and i hope i dont kill and fish down stream, haha, with all that oil going right into the street!

Old 01-15-2001, 03:00 PM
Pooh-Bah

Scoobydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

You wont loose very much oil (less than 1/2 quart). But you will create quite a smoke show [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] and you will smell like burnt oil for days "ode to 10-30" plan a trip to the car wash for after [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
Old 01-15-2001, 03:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

will do....thanks everyone.........i'll let you know how it turns out

Old 01-16-2001, 12:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=red>Why adjust the valves with the engine running??? That's not needed!!! One more thing to think about, How much "FUN" is it gonna be when your truck burns to the ground? Thanks

Old 01-16-2001, 10:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

adjust the valve while it is running? no one said anything about that! thanks for the tips everyone, it a was mission success. not too much of a mess, and no, my truck didn't even come close to catching fire.

Old 01-16-2001, 11:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=red>Oh, no one said anything about that?????????? If I remember right this was your question --

<font color=black> This may be a dumb question, but can I<font color=blue> run my engine (chevy 350) with the valve covers off to look at and
adjust the valves?<font color=black> and if so, what precautios do i need to take to stop oil from flying everywhere? THANKS!

<font color=red>Ummmmmmm!!! Oh well, I was just posting a response to this question! And thought I'd help ya out, but nevermind. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement