1990 Chevy half ton clutch problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2000, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 1990 Chevy half ton clutch problems

I just replaced the clutch in my fathers 1990 Chevy Z71 stepside pickup. Its a 5.7 with a normal duty 5 speed tranmission. While I had it apart I replaced clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing and the hydraulic line for the clutch. I also cleaned and inspected the master cylinder and slave cylinder for the hydraulic clutch.
I now cant seem to get the pressure plate to release...any ideas??

I have double checked the slave clyinder and bled the lines. I can hear it press the throwout bearing against the pressure plate but it doesnt seem to have enough "throw" to release the clutch.

Thanks in advance
Zip

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2000, 05:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: 1990 Chevy half ton clutch problems

Are you starting the truck engine with the trans in neutral, then can't get it into gear because it grinds? If so, put the truck in gear, then start the engine. Be sure the parking brake is set, chock the wheels, or have the rear jacked off the ground. PLEASE make sure that there isn't any way the truck will run off and hit something! I have had this experience on a couple clutches I installed. The clearances are close, and just need the clutch to wear ever so slightly. If this isn't the problem, then either: 1:You surfaced the flywheel and need a spacer between the crank and the flywheel, or 2:The slave cyl., clutch fork is out of place, and not giving you full throw. or 3: The clutch cyl need bleeding. An indication of this would be a "soft" pedal, very little pedal "feel" from the floor, or pump the pedal (similar to a brake) and you get more clutch pedal.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-02-2000, 05:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the response

It does have a soft clutch pedal.

Any tips for bleeding the clutch system???

Old 12-02-2000, 05:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Patience and possibly check with your auto parts store about a power bleeder. Some stores rent special tools.

Old 12-03-2000, 12:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same problem with mine finally I pushed the clutch in and with the lid off the res. he noticed it bubbled when I pushed so I continued to push up and down slowly now it works great this will remove air bubbles that bleeding won't try it then lut us know how it worked. Oh, be sure to leave lid off.

88 1500 4X4 6in. SUPERLIFT, 35X12.50 BFG AT

Old 12-03-2000, 07:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for advice

I am convinced that it is air in the lines. I now know why the newer systems are factory bled.
We will have at it again this morning and hopefully make some progress. I have checked and double checked everything....I just cant seem to get enough movement from the slave cylinder to disengage the clutch.

Thanks again
Zip

Sponsored Links
Advertisement