How does oversize tires affect mph? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2000, 09:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default How does oversize tires affect mph?

Forgive me for my ignorance, i guess i could spend some time surfing and find out the answer, but i know that there is a tire expert with the answer. Had LT 245/75/16 CHEAP Firestone SteelTex now i got 285/75/16 BFG AT's. How much approx. is my speedo off? I know the side wall height diff is approx 75% of 40mm=30mm or about 1" taller. At least i thinks thats good math.

01 Corvette Z06 Quicksilver...wanna race?
00 Suburban LT 4x4 Gray...the little woman's
01 2500HD Crew Cab LS 4x4 8.1L Big Block/Allison!! Pewter...for work
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2000, 11:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: How does oversize tires affect mph?

well mine are about 1" taller than stock and my speedo is off about 2-3 mph at around 55 and 4-5 around 80mph. i checked it against my GPS thats how i know. so yours should be about the same

Mike ~
"I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel-drive and a country boy can survive!"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-20-2000, 11:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

so your saying it reads fast right?

01 Corvette Z06 Quicksilver...wanna race?
00 Suburban LT 4x4 Gray...the little woman's
01 2500HD Crew Cab LS 4x4 8.1L Big Block/Allison!! Pewter...for work
Old 11-21-2000, 12:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yea my bad i forgot to say that. it reads a few mph faster than actual

Mike ~
"I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel-drive and a country boy can survive!"
Old 11-21-2000, 09:22 AM

Shorts is on a distinguished road

whoa, i just got all confused. we put 285s on the 2500 in place of the sissy-girl stock 245s. our speedo was way off. the speedometer read 45mph, but the truck was actually going 49-51mph. then on the freeway, the speedo reads 70mph, and the truck's going 75-77mph.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Shorts

<font color=blue>"My brain works like lighting; one bright flash and it's gone."<font color=blue>
Old 11-21-2000, 11:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you put larger tires on a truck, the speedometer will read SLOWER than what the actual speed the truck is going. The reason for this is that the larger tires travel a farther distance in each revolution than the smaller tires, therefore at the same engine RPM the larger tires cover more distance and result in the truck going faster than what the speedometer reads.

6.2Blazer
Old 11-21-2000, 12:36 PM
Old Hand

tanbuddy is an unknown quantity at this point

You will be going 1.08x faster thanwhat the speedo says. If it says 100, you are really going 108.
75=81
50=54
25=27

John
Red 89 Ranger 4x4, 2" lift
Dad's Red 97 Chevy 2500 H.D.
Grandpop's Tan 85 F-150 "tanbuddy"
Old 11-21-2000, 12:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well that was my logical thinking too, but mine does read faster, so i dunno [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] maybe if was off to begin with??

Mike ~
Old 11-21-2000, 01:52 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Lets just use your example. Say we started with a truck equipped with 245/75R16 tires & a 4L80E transmission with .75:1 top gear & lets assume 4.10 gears. No other changes being made to the truck, you now switch to 285/75R16's. Now, lets figure RPM at 70 MPH.

245/75's are 30.5" tall & 285/75's are 32.8" tall (advertised height for both).

RPM = FD*MPH*336/TD = (4.1*.75)*(70)*(336)/(30.5)

RPM = 2,371

So, at 2,371 RPM's your truck will indicate 70 MPH regardless of tire size. So, now let's figure the difference in ACTUAL speed:

MPH = (RPM*TD)/(FD*336) = (2,371*32.8)/(4.1*.75*336)

MPH = 75.27, which is roughly 7.5 % off from indicated (as mentioned earlier). The other thing that will be off in addition to MPH is MPG. Since your SPEEDometer is off, your ODometer is also off by the same amount. You're actually traveling 7.5% more miles than indicated & getting 7.5% better fuel mileage than indicated.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

Old 11-21-2000, 04:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

checkout http://www.4lo.com/ they have tons of calculations that don't require any math.

Denver
94bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement