Flat Beds?! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2000, 09:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Flat Beds?!

Does anyone on here have a lifted chevy with a flat bed? Call me crazy but with the right setup that might look kinda neat wouldn't it? Just a plain black flat bed with none of the swirly pin striping ( no offense to those that have it). What do you guys think? I mean there could be some +'s couldn't there, no body damage . Put on a bumper similar to the arb bull bumper. TANK. I might be onto something here. Anyway let me know what you think. Thanks, Scott.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2000, 11:01 PM
Enthusiast

86DIESEL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flat Beds?!

a good friend of mine has an early 80's K20 with a flat bed. neat looking truck but good for only one thing....PULLING. It has a rebuilt & pumped up 6.2, sm465, 14bolt rear, 35x14.50 ground hawgs on 16.5x12 steel rims, home made front lift with and srings from a '79 1ton ford, and dana 60 front on the way. He put the flat bed on it last year. If he would put some exhaust stacks on it it would really look like some bad ass chevy truck/semi 4x4 thing, not that it doesn't already. oh yeah almost forgot, he put a huge homemade front bumperon it that has a cool 1+" dia all welded brush guard. Not exactly the safest truck around, but it does look mean. If I can I'll try to get a pic of it.

<font color=blue>86DIESEL[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
'86 K10, 6.2 diesel, Jet T700, Flowmasters, BFG M/Ts</font color=blue>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-20-2000, 01:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I see two of them when I drive to work everyday - I'd take a pic for you but we're all doing 50+ opposite ways. My buddy is building one right now. A '84 1T with 6" lift, custom welded flatdeck, custom channel steel bumpers front and back, 12,000lb winch on the front and a 9,000lb low profile winch on the back, and of course a 454 under the hood. They look ok though.

Old 11-20-2000, 01:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well what I was thinking was to put on the flat bed with a clean looking headache rack. Then put on one of the diamond tread boxes, like a dee zee or something, up close to the headache rack. Then put on my angled tire rack a little in front of that. I was thinking too of doing some sort of grill swap. I have an 86 k1500 and was thinking of taking the grill off of a 90 or similar year. I know I've read about some one doing that either in a magazine or maybe on here. I know you'd have to reconfigure the lights but it should fit shouldn't it? If anyone knows what article I'm thinking of please tell me or let me kow if you've done that kind of a swap.

By the way has anyone tried the expanded metal grill like they did to the k5 blazer on here?

Old 11-20-2000, 01:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well what I was thinking was to put on the flat bed with a clean looking headache rack, slotted or something. Then put on one of the diamond tread boxes, like a dee zee or something, up close to the headache rack. Then put on my angled tire rack a little in front of that. I was thinking too of doing some sort of grill swap. I have an 86 k1500 and was thinking of taking the grill off of a 90 or similar year. I know I've read about some one doing that either in a magazine or maybe on here. I know you'd have to reconfigure the lights but it should fit shouldn't it? If anyone knows what article I'm thinking of please tell me or let me kow if you've done that kind of a swap.

By the way has anyone tried the expanded metal grill like they did to the k5 blazer on here?

Old 11-20-2000, 01:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There's an article on www.coloradoK5.com regarding the grill swap. You need to change the rad supports as well. My buddy did this to his '87 K20 pickup a few years back. Put in a '91 K5 grill. Looks really really good.

Old 11-20-2000, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It should look very good my son did this a few years ago to a two wheel drive street truck, but you will lose some traction due to the lose of weight over the rear wheels.

Old 11-20-2000, 04:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>If I were to build a flatbed, I would start with a shortbed pickup then cut the frame right behind the rear shackle mounts. Then, I would make the flatbed just long enough to get to the ends of the frame. This would make for a very high departure angle. I would also build large wheel openings in it so if I cut the front fenders like titanic, I could fit huge tires for ground clearance with very little lift for a low CG. If only I had the money</font color=blue>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement