Off Roading Forums banner

Higher amp alternator?

1K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I was wondering if a higher amp alternator would make my head lights brighter? they are dim right now even with the brights on.

#2 ·
Normally I would say no a bigger alt wouldn't make them brighter, BUT (notice that was a BIG BUT/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif) it doesn't sound like your current alt is putting out enough juice. I would go and have it tested and if it is low and needs replacing you may as well go higher amp!
Also I know there is some electrical gadget (can't think of the name right now/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif) between the alt and the headlights so that may be the problem also?

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

#3 ·
First of all, you might consider a pair of GE, Wagner or Phillips ultra halogen ones (not sure of the exact name but they're a step up from regular halogens. Check all connections, make sure they're not corroded. Hook the ground wires from the headlights directly up to the battery and run the headlights off of a relay (use the factory switch to kick the relays in). That should brighten them up considerably if it's an older truck and corrosion in various places is quite likely. At the very least sandblast where the ground hooks up and make sure the piece of metal they're grounded to has a good connection to the (negative terminal on the) battery. Use that silicone dielectric grease everywhere you connect wires to keep them from corroding and to make sure they don't get that way again... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Just my $0.02...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land

G
#4 ·
Tim is right on with the idea to change the wiring. Someone makes the actual kit he is talking about, don't remember who............

Another option to go with this idea is to add H-4 headlights and bulbs.......got mine from JC Whitney with 80 watt low beam/140 watt high beam...........they /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif cook! Not quite sure if the high beam is street legal tho......./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

I put on a 135 amp alternator (direct charge)from Wrangler Northwest Power Products (800-962-2616) two years ago and am very satisfied with it..........kicks amps at idle even with AC running and stereo thumping.

One more thing - make sure your battery is up to snuff too......

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif'79 K5 with 406 TPI - See it --->http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G
#6 ·
you might wanna try MR. AMP ALTERNATOR, they claim 65 amps at idle compared to a claimed 20 stock amps at idle. 130 max output, keeps accessories operating at at peak level, maximizes ignition systems output, eliminates drain on battery that under-drive pulleys cause, reduces voltage drop to a bare minimum, boosts stereo performance, A/C output is enhanced, heavy duty regulator, internal fan leads to greater durability, optional high tech pulley with cooling vents, requires 6 gauge lead wire due to high output, and its available for CHEVY, Furd, and AMC carbureted engines.
voltage at idle without accessories; mr amp: 14.65. stock chevy; 14.65
voltage at idle with accessories; mr amp: 14.63. stock chevy: 13.00
this alternator is made /available through perormance distributors, and is not legal for sale or use in California on any pollution controlled vehicle, contact them at http://www.performancedistributors.com
oh and i copied this all out of an ad i got out of the new Petersens 4 Wheel & Off-ROad on page 147 at bottom left. and no i am not a salesman, the kids are trick or treating and this keeps me from going to the door. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1974 GMC Jimmy

G
#8 ·
man get this:
i open the door with a big bowl of candy, immediatly they start hitting me with funny string and take the bowl of candy and run. i am thinking of hiding in the bushes and scaring the sh*t outta them as they pass.
they do this again and i may start passing out tomato soup. but my luck they would stand back in the road and throw it at the house and truck.

1974 GMC Jimmy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.