how to put on a body lift??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2000, 12:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default how to put on a body lift???

How difficult is it to put on a body lift? What is required to do one on say...an '82 chevy silverado? Is it cheaper to do than having to go and pay $400 for a suspension lift? What are the problems that come a long with a body lift? Thanks.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2000, 01:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: how to put on a body lift???

a body lift is very basic if you know anything about working on vehicles. takes a couple hours and its pretty easy with two people. the only worries you may have (might have some, might not) would be: fan shroud (just trim the bottom for fan clearance), steering column extension (if required, it should come with kit - just bolts in), gas filler (may need a short piece of extension tubing), bumper brackets come with some kits. the only drawbacks are that it doesnt give you more ground clearance, only room to fit bigger tires and it leaves a gap between bed and frame in your fender well but that can be fixed easily with a guard to cover it. and its much cheaper than a suspension. you can get 3" for around $100. anymore questions just ask

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Mike ~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-27-2000, 07:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

fo an 82 chevy a body lift is only about $60-$70 i put one in my truck about 2 years ago easy down side to it is you cant haul a lot of weight because the bed might colapse.

MUDD_RAT: 1978 Chevy K-10 with dana 44 front, 12 bolt rear 350/350/203 running 15/39/15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted
Old 10-27-2000, 07:05 PM
Mud in my Veins

AJMBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

For how cheap and easy it is to put a suspension lift on your truck, I'd say do it the right way and get a suspension lift.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Flowmaster 40 DF 3", 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img], 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2000, 04:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

could it be done within a day? What is needed to do a body lift on your own?

Old 10-28-2000, 05:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

my guesstimate would be basic tools, (screwdriver, rathchet, sockets, wrenches, etc..) a floor jack, a piece os wood to put on the floor jack pad, just my opinion, and ummm, i would think probably some cutting tool to cut things such as gas filler hose and with a body lift you have to reposition your bumpers...

1974 GMC Jimmy
Old 10-29-2000, 05:24 PM
Drew K1500

In response to Mudd Rats post. Your body lift should have came with some square tubing to be welded to the frame between your bed. This supports your bed. I have a 2" on my 93 1/2 ton and routinely haul 45 + bundles of roofing shingles at 60 to 80 lbs a piece with no problems at all. The Suspension lift on your truck is very simple. I have installed some on these solid axle Chevs that were easier than Body Lifts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement