Can a 1997 350 vortec go in a 1990 suburban? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2000, 11:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Can a 1997 350 vortec go in a 1990 suburban?

I'm considering a new engine for my 1990 350 tbi solid axle suburban. Several options all pricey, I was thinking of building up a 350 and using my tbi system but by the time I get done getting the edelbrock cam/heads/manifold and pistons block ect.. The costs are out of hand. It seems like getting a low milage 350 vortec from a junk yard would be a good deal. So, can it be done? Can the vortec computer be installed in my vehicle? Do they make a wiring harness for this swap? Will my 700r4 tranny work with this? Do i need to get the vortec's tranny also? I want to use the vortec's fuel injection.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2000, 05:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can a 1997 350 vortec go in a 1990 suburban?

Well, I can understand wanting the newer powertrain. I'll be brief. The 96 and newer powertain is called an OBD (On Board Diagnostics) II system. The basic differences between the OBD I system that your 90 Suburban has and the 96 and newer OBD II system is the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) vs. ECM (Engine Control Module). The PCM will control both the engine and transmission. The ECM will only control the engine and just the torque converter control of the 700R4. The PCM will control both the transmission and engine management functions. The options are expensive. If you had a complete vehicle in which to graph the OBD II system (with transmission) for you 90 Suburban, then it's more affordable. The wiring, complete powertrain, and PCM would be required for the conversion.
dave

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-14-2000, 07:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shum-

It sure can. Like butter. =) Look on the edelbrock web page, go to their port injection. They sell the injection to make a vortec motor work in a TBI truck. You will need new exhaust manifolds, or better yet get shorty headers. Edelbrock has the kit, it works with the stock ECM, and they supply the chip, custom burned to what you have. The Vortec motors are great, from the heads to the roller cam. Check out Crower and Crane for a little bigger cam, nothing huge, but a little goes a long way with those motors.

Ryan

Old 10-16-2000, 12:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you want to make some power and not spend a fortune, you can buy the vortec heads complete from Scoggin-Dickey Chevy for $208 each COMPLETE with valves and springs. They sell them all day long at that price. DO NOT pay more. Free shipping if you order on the net AND they got me my head in under 48 hours.

They will bolt on to any chevy motor small block and edelbrock just released an intake for use with the TBI. I am using the carb intake and it looks like it will make about 285hp on a 100% stock motor.

I would build a motor instead of looking in the junk yards, for the money that you spend there, you can build a much better motor.

The new blocks are a bit different.

I am finishing my vortec swap into my 86 Burban this weekend. I used the new block because I found a hell of deal on a long block with 16k miles on it. If you need anything else, email me.

Also, you do not have to change the exhaust manifolds, my old ones bolted right up.

Thanks,
Shane Bevel
shaneb@unt.edu

The Dallas Morning News Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4WD Chevy Suburban
1989 Honda CB-1 400

[img] http://people.unt.edu/~shaneb/front.jpg [/img]
Old 10-16-2000, 07:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shane-

Do you have a part # for the Edelbrock Manifold to use the TBI with the Vortec heads? Any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

Rhino

PS-I'm talking about just an intake, not the retrofit MPFI unit. =)

Old 10-16-2000, 07:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Now that you ask, I cannot find it. They were supposed to have released the TBI intake in Aug or Sept. and I thought I saw it, but maybe not.

Call Bryan at Scoggin-Dickey in Lubbock. (sdpc2000.com) He knows what the hell he is talking about. If they have not released it, he should know when they are going to.

Good Luck,
Shane

The Dallas Morning News Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4WD Chevy Suburban
1989 Honda CB-1 400

[img] http://people.unt.edu/~shaneb/front.jpg [/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement