TH400/TH475 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2000, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default TH400/TH475

Hey guys,
I've seen some mention of TH475 transmissions, I was planning on sending the TH400 tranny out of my 85 suburban to the shop and was wondering what kind of mods need to be done to get a TH475.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2000, 02:56 PM
Veteran

90K5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TH400/TH475

The main difference is that the TH475 has straight cut gears in it, and the TH 400 has helically or angle cut gears. The angle cut ones are quieter , but they are not as strong because they can pry apart under a heavy load. The straight cut ones are really strong and they are used in motorhomes and like C60 trucks.

90K5
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-10-2000, 03:39 PM
Pooh-Bah

Scoobydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

The TH400 is one of the Best/Strongest Auto tranny's ever built! it should give you many, many, years of dependable service[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].
It's ONLY drawback is not having an OD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

If you are having it rebuilt, I strongly suggest having an "RV" shift kit installed and use a "Heavy Duty" Torque Converter. This will make it shift firmer and is actually beneficial to the trans! Also be sure you have a large external tranny cooler!

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
Old 10-31-2000, 12:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

is the TH700 the one w/ overdrive? is it a durable transmission?

Duct tape is like the force: it has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe (and my truck) together.
Old 10-31-2000, 02:46 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>TH700 has O/D, but isn't as durable at TH400. The 4L80E is an O/D tranny that is based on the TH400 & is more durable than the TH700/4L60E.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

Old 10-31-2000, 02:46 PM
Resurrection_Joe

I've heard it's not very strong, but thats just rumor. I might have a th-700 for sale when I scrap the old 84

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]<font color=blue> "Such beautiful things exist, and there is nothing keeping us from them but ourselves." </font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement