NP203 troubles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2000, 06:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default NP203 troubles

Ok, I'm not being lazy, I have searched the site as best as I could for instructions on NP203 linkage adjustment. Got the Idea to clean everything from some posts, this didn't help. Need detailed info on linkage adjusting. I have Instructions in haynes but this is very vague to me. where is the hole that the drill bit goes in? Do you put T-case in neutral first? Do I remove shift arms from linkage then reatach after setting up index pin? If you read the Haynes description you will see it leaves alot unexplained. Any help would be great. The symtoms that started this project was that it would not shift from 4lo- to 4hi without grinding, got it in by shutting off engine and rolling a little forward then shifting into 4hi. T-case has had part time conversion by prior owner. On another note my front diff. (dana 44 ) is leaking out of rear seal. Can I remove pinion shaft(correct word?)without wacking out the critical tolerences??? Thanks for all the help and making me feel welcomed. Thanks ,Frank

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2000, 07:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: NP203 troubles

Ok, I went out and messed with the linkage itself, found the indexer hole. adjusted both arms by about 5 turns each and plugged em back into shifter. There is alot of slop at T-case and in linkage. Is there a bushing kit for this ? Earlier I changed the T-case oil to 10w-40 instead of gear oil that was in it. I tried all out and it seems to shift alot easier now. Still need help on dana 44 leak. any ideas??Thanks again. Frank

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-03-2000, 08:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have 2 203 trucks and the only reason I can come up with why your truck is grinding is improper shift procedure. The tranny must be in N or P before shifting through N on the case. If it is not in either of these popsitions it will grind every time. If you shift hrough N on the case it allows the gears to get spinning in the reduction box since it is still being driven from the tranny. Thats why your having to shut the truck down to get it to stop. Quite honestly the smoothest shift on my trucks come while moving with hubs locked at about 5-10 mph and tranny in N. Just slips right in then with no fights.
As for where the holes are to adjust. Put the case shifter in N and the two arms will line up and allow you to pass the bit through the holes that will then be lined up. It's pretty hard to see when the shifter is in the truck and the holes are going to be full of crud. Now if indeed they are out of adjustment it may not need to be adjusted at all, just to have the bushings replaced. On the linkages there are plastic bushings that wear out. Adjusting them with these worn out may cause you more problems since they allow extra slop. Usualy just replacing these will cure any adjustment problem. the way they are adjusted they cannot come out of adjustment without an outside influance such as being turned whie appart or the tail shaft housing has had a VERY thick gasket installed at the time it was converted to part time. If it's popping out of Low Lock it is usualy more to do with lots of crud in the shifter assemebly than adjustment. The Detent pin tends to hang and not hold it in Low lock. Hope this helps.

Grim-Reaper
http://www.grimsk5s.coloradok5.com
Old 09-03-2000, 09:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ohh yeah D44. drop the drive shaft lock the hubs and get out the breaker bar. Haynes says to count the turns...good luck. The deal here is the crush sleeve takes about 200ftlb to crush. when you put it back in use a 3/8s ratchet and get it tight without putting your feet on the frame or ghangin on the ratchet. It's just about impossible to generate 200ftlb with a 3/8 ratchet if you don't brace off something or hang on it. Never had a problem doing it this way.

Grim-Reaper
http://www.grimsk5s.coloradok5.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement