14-bolt FF Rebuild?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2000, 09:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 14-bolt FF Rebuild??

I have a 14-bolt GM FF rear with 4.10's. Where is a good place to buy a rebuild kit?? What should I replace, just berrings and seals?? What else should I look for?? Is there anyplace, or good book, that has a How-To??

Thanks,

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2000, 12:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: 14-bolt FF Rebuild??

I swapped in a 14bolt FF in my k10 and I thought the same thing you did, let's replace all the seals and bearing and everything. I couldn't find a book or even a decent manual that showed where all the seals were. I ended up not replacing any bearing, just repacking the outer ones. I looked at the wheel bearing seals (that's what Autozone called 'em, they are the seals on the wheel hub that prevent the wheel bearing grease from getting out or water from getting in) and I replaced one that I had messed up while taking the hub off, but the other one was fine. That's all I did, plus change the gear oil and used a lsd additive since the diff is limited-slip.
If there is something else to be done, I'm not sure what it is. Runs great. BTW, I threw away those heavy drum brakes and put TSM's disc brake conversion kit on. Worth the money.
-- Mike

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-28-2000, 01:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just replaced all the bearings and seals that aren't differential related on my 14 FF this weekend - it's not that bad if you have the tools and a good torque wrench. I'm glad I did - the bearings hadn't been properly preloaded when the guy I got the axle from replaced bearings some time in the past.

<font color=red>TOO MUCH POWER</font color=red> isn't enough.
Old 08-30-2000, 04:03 PM
muddfred

Replacing the wheel bearings is just like replacing the front wheel bearings only larger and more expensive. You need a socket to fit the hub nuts, I think a one ton front end socket. You need bearings , races, seals and the gaskets for the axle ends. I got my parts at NAPA and it was close to $200. I have an old Chilton manual for 70's and early 80's trucks that has good information on how to do the work. It also helped when I installed the locker and new gears.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement