How much lift to fit 38's? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2000, 12:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default How much lift to fit 38\'s?

I just fell into a set of new 38x12.50x16.5 Swamper TSL's. My `84 Chevy 3/4 ton has 4" of lift. Will the 38's fit without having to trim the front fenders? I think I might be out of luck...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2000, 02:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: How much lift to fit 38\'s?

I'm pretty sure you will need more lift. 35" is about as big as a 4" lift will allow. Look into body lifts or a six inch lift with a bit of quality trimming.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-08-2000, 03:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

73-87 Chevy full-size 4wd's
4" lift -- you also need a 3" body lift and may require fender trimming to clear 38"
6" lift -- fenders may need trimming to clear 38"
8" lift -- 38" clear with no modifications
Good luck
P.S. I have add-a-leafs and blocks in-stock for the rear, and can get everything else.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=black> It's<font color=orange> not<font color=black> what<font color=orange> you<font color=black> BUY<font color=black>.....<font color=orange> It's<font color=black> what<font color=orange> you<font color=black> BUILD!
Old 08-08-2000, 07:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i am running 39 on my truck with a 4 and 3 inch lift had to trim front fenders slightly.

MUDD_RAT: 1978 Chevy K-10 with dana 44 front, 12 bolt rear 350/350/203 running 15/39/15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted
Old 08-08-2000, 09:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm putting a 6"suspension and 3" body on my 83' K5 1/2 ton. What size tires you think I can fit? (I'm upgrading to Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear, so dont worry about my axles.)

thanks

Old 08-08-2000, 12:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The tire size you can run completely depends on what you plan on doing with the truck. Running on trails and having a lot of flex requires a lot more clearance than street driving or mudbogging on stiff springs. On my Blazer with a 4" lift, 33x12.50's rubbed pretty good when trailriding, though I have seen trucks with 4" lifts, no fender trimming, and 36x15.50's running around on the street with no problems. One of the project trucks in the magazines (an ugly orange '76 GMC shortbed) required 8" lift and fender trimming to clear 36x12 Swamper radials.
Also, in general, the wider the tire and/or rim is, the more clearance is required

6.2Blazer
Old 08-08-2000, 03:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My cousin has a 79 with a 6in susp. lift and a 3in. body lift with 40's. But he doesnt trail ride it. I have no lift and i fit 33x13.50x16 Baja claws with trail riding and flexing with no rub. - its an 84 3/4

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]<font color=blue>"Your driveway doesn't counts as Off-Road"</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2000, 04:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you dont mind trimming fenders then you could get 38 easy no trimming 40 with minor and maybe 44's with some triming.

MUDD_RAT: 1978 Chevy K-10 with dana 44 front, 12 bolt rear 350/350/203 running 15/39/15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted
Old 08-08-2000, 05:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I can fit the 38's with little or no (preferable) trimming at all, they will definately be the tires I run on the rig. I was originally building the truck to run 35's, but now that I've got a set of 38's in hand, bigger is better, right?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I really don't want to cut metal because all my sheet metal is fresh and there isn't a spot of rust or other defect - anywhere. I know, I know - one hard day on the trail or in the mud and all my hard work will look like hell...

The truck is basically going to see the mud, sand and light trail usage, but nothing too extreme where suspension articulation is going to be severe (no jumping, high speed mogul runs, rock crawling, etc.).
Old 08-08-2000, 06:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Shaggy is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I'll jump in now. I have 38s on my '78 with 6" of lift, and they rubbed HARD, even when just turning into driveways and such, until I removed a pretty massive amount of sheetmetal from the front fenders. There is no way you'll fit them on your truck with a 4" lift unless you cut a very significant amount of sheetmetal off of the front fenders. Even with all of the metal I have removed they still rub when the truck flexes hard. The rims that they are on have as much backspacing as possible without rubbing suspension parts at full steering lock, and with less backspacing like most people run the tires would rub even worse. The tires rub both the top edge of the wheel opening and also the rear of the inner fenderwell, which has been bent and pushed back so it rests right against the cab. Without any trimming you will more than likely do significant damage to both the front tires and the front fenders from the massive contact between them, even if you're only doing light trails.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.