Need help trouble-shooting Starter Problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2000, 11:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Need help trouble-shooting Starter Problems

About three weeks ago, out of nowhere, my starter started dragging really bad, and sometimes wouldn't start, crank, or even click when the key was turned to the ignition postition. I spent about two weeks starting the truck with a screwdriver and making an arc over the posts on the starter. Since I know that heat likes to kill the startes on these C/K trucks, I figured that I just needed to replace the starter. So I ran to Checker a traded in my second Delco starter for a remanufactured starter (in hindsight, I am pissed).
After installing the new starter, it still drags as bad as the old one and sometimes has the dead spot on the key's ignition (The old starter was probably in fine shape). My battery is new and has about 12.4 volts (instructions state that the starter needs 12.6).

The question is, where do I go next? The ignition tumbler is less than a year old so it shouldn't be a bad connection there. Is there another relay or switch? I would appreciate any help since i am getting really tired of starting my truck with a screwdriver.

Thanks.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2000, 12:28 PM
Veteran

90K5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need help trouble-shooting Starter Problems

It might be the ignition module or the coil. They could be going out. I am having a similar problem now. I bought an altenator that didn't help at all

90K5
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-13-2000, 12:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good points. I just installed a new MSD Blaster coil (the first one went out in a week). I will look in the Haynes manual for the ignition module. Thanks 90K5. Any more thoughts.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
Old 07-13-2000, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a similar problem with our old farm truck (1977 GMC 1 ton dually pickup). It would start erratically, and sometimes not at all when I tried it. Found out that one of the fields in the starter solenoid went bad. Replaced it and started fine.

It did seem like the hotter it was outside (and lenght of time running the engine) the truck got harder to start. When it stranded me out in the field I tried so hard to start it with the key that the solenoid started smoking up through the hood...... Eventually jumpstarted it from another truck and it worked fine (for a while anyway...)

Long post - sorry..

Good Luck.

<font color=green>GreenZ71</font color=green> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2000, 02:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you're having problems starting when it gets hot, consider the GM remote starter kit from Summit. Its only $25 and comes with the proper wires.

Shawn

Old 07-13-2000, 02:17 PM
Pooh-Bah

Scoobydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

You did replace the starter and "solenoid" also, right?
Also if it came from checker, it may just be another bad starter[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2000, 07:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did in fact replace the starter and solenoid. It could just be another bad starter. I am going to find out if the solenoid wire is getting power when the key is turned next time the starter doesn't do anything.

I think it is strange that the heat of the engine is not playing a role in my situation. If it doesn't start, it is usually after it has been sitting a while. Actually it is very erratic. I hope I can beat this thing soon. Thanks to all responses.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
Old 07-13-2000, 07:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't forget to check the condition of the battery cables, and the ground point on the motor. Might even try relocating the ground from the alternator bracket to the engine block its self. I worked on a Burb ('88 if I remember right) and the placement of the ground lug on the bracket made a big difference. Didn't really make much sense, but it did fix it!

Old 07-14-2000, 12:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree on the battery cables thing. My cousins car had a similar problem, and she got stranded at Wal-Mart, so I went at took a look at it, and sure enough her cables were bad. I could tell because when she was turning the key, I would move around the cables and it fired right up. Its always good maintenance to clean and check your battery terminals and wires, just to make sure you have good juice at all times.

Old 07-14-2000, 07:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep, I forgot to mention to check the battery cable(s). Had a slightly loose ground cable at the alternator bracket that would allow the truck to start erratically.... Real pain until I figured it out.

<font color=green>GreenZ71</font color=green> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement