Electric frame mounted fuel pump? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2000, 08:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Electric frame mounted fuel pump?

I need an electric fuel pump for a 1992 350 TBI that will mount to the frame instead of in the gas tank. Also am I correct in assuming that the fuel pressure regulator is on the TBI unit and is set for 15 psi? Any info would help. Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2000, 09:59 PM
Pooh-Bah

chevota is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electric frame mounted fuel pump?

Check-out the pump Holley sells for their injection systems. The reg should be at, or close to the fuel manifold feeding the injectors. The return fuel line should be coming from it.

Chevota
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-09-2000, 12:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Most auto parts stores can order a frame mounted pump for FI. Probably wont have in stock unless they are a wharehouse store. If you need some part #, send me a private E-mail. I will do some digging, and try to get some.

Thanks, Ray

Old 07-09-2000, 10:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Will a frame mounted electric fuel pump make enough fuel pressure for GM fuel injection. I know that you MUST NOT use any rubber tubing as you need 150+ fuel pressure, and standard fuel hose will burst! Check it out before you do anything. If you notice on your truck, it is a solid steel line from the tank to the injection unit on your engine. Good luck!

(cool) '87 Chevy 1/2t SWB in the making!
Old 07-09-2000, 08:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Doesn't a TBI system need only around 15 psi to opperate? The TPI system I thought needed between 30 and 40 psi. Where is the 150 psi pressure coming from? Shouldn't small sections of rubber tubing between the main sections of aluminum or steel tubing stand up to 15 psi?

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2000, 09:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can also get rubber fuel injection fuel hose, and special hose clamps for FI.

Thanks, Ray

Old 07-09-2000, 11:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tim, you are right. I just read in the Haynes manuel, that TBI needs to have 9 to 13 lbs of constant pressure to operate. I got it confused with MPI, which needs 150 lbs PSI to operate! I'm sorry for any confusion this may have caused!

(cool) '87 Chevy 1/2t SWB in the making!
Old 07-10-2000, 09:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am using a Holley eletric fuel pump on my 83' s10 Its carburated but I know it will put out more then 15 lbs of pressure. For a while I used a Purolater brand pump to feed the tbi on my 87' and it worked fine. I would recommend the holley over any other brand i've senn so far (not saying a better one is not out there) Any auto parts store should also carry a pressure reducer to set the pressure right at 15lbs Also make sure your return line is hooked up. Hope this helps some.

Nick
allterrain_87@hotmail.com
83' s10 extended cab 4x4 supercharged 2.8l v6
Old 07-10-2000, 07:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i still think that MPI only needs 40-50psi to run. I'm not saying your wrong but i would like to know if a stock system does need that much pressure.

Mudsick <font color=red>'99 Silverado</font color=red> <font color=blue>'79 Blazer</font color=blue>
Old 07-10-2000, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have some part numbers. These are Airtex.
E8094: 12-17 PSI about $130
E8131: 10-14 PSI about $60

Both should work well for TBI, And yes, The pumps for MPI put out 100-150 PSI.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement