882 Casting # heads - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2000, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 882 Casting # heads

Anyone have any performance info on these heads? DAVE? I got them for free. A guy pulled them off a 350 from a truck he was parting out. I know that they have 76 cc chambers and the exhaust valves are 1.5s. The intakes are less than 2 inches. THese heads will not give me the compression boost that I am looking for but what other options are available with these heads?

77 GMC Jimmy aka the Greyghost
Custom body work by Mother Nature
UNLIMITED SLIPS in both ends
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2000, 05:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: 882 Casting # heads

Check out:
http://www.nastyz28.com/sbcmenu.html
This Z28 page has some good info on casting #'s.

Shawn
87 K5

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-26-2000, 05:10 PM
Veteran

Andreas is an unknown quantity at this point

Dave is away on a trip, so Iīll jump in with a few bits of info, ok ?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. The intake valves should be 1.94", if theyīre stock. The thing with the 882īs is that they flow good, really good !! If you wanna get more compression you will have to look into buying new pistons. One option is to sell the 882īs and get "double hump" heads with 60-64 cc chambers....but you knew that[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Andreas

If a Blazer runs smooth, it isnīt really a Blazer[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2000, 12:37 AM
Addict

laketex is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had 2 experiences with 882 heads, and in my opinion they're not worth it. Both sets cracked on a 4x4 truck. They flow well, and are pretty desirable. I'd figure you could sell the set for $150 or so. The problem is that they aren't the heavy casting, they're lighter and more breakage prone. you ought to invest in a book at a good bookstore. Don't remember the name, but it runs over all the engine ID numbers and explains it. My buddy got his at Hastings, and I steal it from him all the time.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
LakeTex
Durant, OK
'79 Blazer Suspension and Axles Done! Gas Mileage, what's that?
Old 06-27-2000, 06:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I borrow the Chevy Small Block Parts Interchange Manual from the library all the time. I've been on the hunt for some smaller chamber heads for the Jimmy. I want to increase the compression, but I don't want to pull the motor (out or apart) to put flat tops in it. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-27-2000, 09:01 AM
Blazer1970

From "CHEVROLET Small-Block V-8 ID GUIDE" by Pierre Lafontaine:

"In 1974, when GM was forced to produce engines that would run on unleaded fuel, many changes were made to the cylinder heads. The addition of an extra heat crossover port on the center exhaust port and the redesigned exhaust port did reduce emissions, and raised the operating temperature. GM also began flame-hardening the exhaust seats to keep them from eroding under the new unleaded fuel conditions. On top of that, GM went on a lightening binge. All these changes contributed to a rash of cracking cylinder heads. Cracks usually formed around the exhaust seats of the center cylinder. The new exhaust port configuration did not improve flow. The most common casting you will find is the 882 for the 350ci engine and the 454 for the 305ci engine. These castings have a strangely cast area under the intake ports which make them very easy to spot. These castings have a 76cc chamber.

'70 CST Blazer, 350, SM465, NP205.
'87 Suburban 4X4, 350, 700R4
'88 Chevy PU, 4X4, 350, 700R4
Old 06-27-2000, 09:28 AM
Keyboard Implanted

dave is an unknown quantity at this point

The 882's are prone to cracking. Some of the 882's have the smaller 1.72 intake valves. But the smaller valve 882 is the exception. When I install 882's I use the intake manifold restrictors on both heads, this helps reduce the cracking of the 882's! It's been maybe 10 years since Hot Rod Magazine did their "Head of the Class" article on small block chevy head flows. The 882 was #5 of the five castings tested, and casting 041 was the best. I seem to remember 993's were second best. The 041 is a heavy cast head with 64cc. The 882's and 993's are 76cc. The 882 is OK, not the best or the worst of small block chevy performance heads.
dave

Old 06-27-2000, 10:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dave what do you mean the smaller valve 882s are the exception. I pulled out a ruler and saw that the intakes are just under 1 and 3/4 of an inch.

Old 06-27-2000, 02:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, almost all the 882 casting have 1.94" intake valves, but not all. I've seen hundreds of 882 heads, only a few have had 1.71" intake valves. Usually pickup trucks with 350 engines and 2 barrel carburetors having the 882 heads would have the 1.71" intake valves, but not all. It's not common, but once in awhile Chevy would give us a surprise in the castings. I'm in Billings Montana for part of this week, the other part of this week I'll be in Casper Wyoming. My internet access is going to be limited. I've got a set of rebuilt 1.94" 882's if your interested. Send me a private email for details on these 882's. I'd suggest try trading the 882's for a set of 601 305 heads. The 601 305 heads will have 57cc and 1.84" intake valves. Some 601 castings were used with the 267 V8 and have 1.71" intake valves. The 57cc will get your compression up. The 1.84" intake valve works well to about 4500RPM
dave

Old 06-27-2000, 05:18 PM
Veteran

Andreas is an unknown quantity at this point

Dave. I dunno if anyone ever asked you this but what engine do you run yourself ? It must be a true work of art [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Andreas

If a Blazer runs smooth, it isnīt really a Blazer[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement