6.2 diesel, give me good, bad, and the ugly - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2000, 02:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 6.2 diesel, give me good, bad, and the ugly

Hey, just looking for info and honest opinions on the GM 6.2 diesel? Never had much experiance with diesels, so keep that in mind. How's it for going through water? Seems everything I drive get's submerged at one time or another. Power? Does it have enough to spin 35's easily? Guess it has a bit to do with gears to, so say 4.10:1 ratio. Is there anyway to get it sound a little more like a gas engine? Please share your individual set-ups. Anyway to squeeze some ponies and '-lbs out of it. How do diesels generally do in mud? How long can I expect one to last? Anybody got some gas mileage ratings? Sorry for the so many questions, just want to be a little more educated [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
"In a perfect world, there would be no reason to further succeed"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2000, 02:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: 6.2 diesel, give me good, bad, and the ugly

i have to say it would have enough tourqe to move a truck with 35's. if your going through alot of water i would say to get a snorkel because with around 20:1 compresion peices will fly.

Mudsick <font color=red>'99 Silverado</font color=red> <font color=blue>'79 Blazer</font color=blue>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-24-2000, 05:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They usually require a new pump (or overhaul the fuel pump) about every 50,000 mi. Glow plugs is usually another fun thing with them, especially in cold weather. If you live some where that it is really cold, you will have to plug it in to start. In the winter months, you will need to run #1 diesel (which costs more) or a blend of 50 to 70%, depending on the weather. And using #1 or winter blend, will cause your fuel mileage to suffer. Usually around 2 to 7 mpg. On the up side, great fuel mileage! Hope this is of some help. I looked at buying one, and the guys in our shop told me "Don't come running to us, when it doesn't run" STAY AWAY from one that is turbo charged. They don't have the lower end for it (main bearings) Good luck!!

(cool) '87 Chevy 1/2t SWB in the making!
Old 06-24-2000, 06:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How cold is real cold? Coldest it gets here is probably -30 C on real cold nights, but the way winters have been lately...... Different kinds of diesel?? I only thought you get get one kind, and farm diesel, but I don't think you can run that on the road. Thanks for all replies and keep 'em coming!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
"In a perfect world, there would be no reason to further succeed"
Old 06-26-2000, 09:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a 6.2 in my 1982 Blazer. The truck had 3.08 gears and did very well on fuel in the range of 22-25 MPG. The truck was mostly driven in the winter vehicle; plowed snow with it here in Michigan. I never plugged the block heater in (it didn't work), but the truck still fired well off of compression and glow plugs every time it got cold.

As for problems with the 6.2, I really didn't have any, except for having to replace a starter one time. Every time you change the fuel filters, you will have to bleed the injectors, as the engine won't start until you purge the air from the fuel lines. Don't use ether on a diesel - you'll cook the glow plugs and possibly fry other things, as well. WD-40 works well as an ether substitute.

The compression is pretty high when compared to a gas engine, somewhere along the lines of 20.5:1 This means that if you 'hydraulic' the engine while water crossing, damage will likely be a little more severe than a blown head gasket. The 6.2 lacks in power when compared to the 350, but it definately makes up for it in torque.

There is no way that I know of to make a 6.2 sound more like a gas engine. Diesels always sit there and rattle and humm at idle. Dual exhaust will help performance but the engine will sound about the same no matter what you do. I don't know if you could run headers on a 6.2 or not - but the 6.2 block is based off of a 350, if I'm not mistaken. I have no muddin' experience with the 6.2, but my Blazer pushed snow way better than the short box Chevy w/350 I use now. My Blazer had 240,000 miles on it and still ran like a charm. I parted out the truck because the body was literally falling apart - the drivetrain was solid. I still got $700 for the engine alone when I parted it out. The guy test drove the truck before he bought the engine.

As for fuel, I just ran whatever they sold at the truck stops by the highway. Truck stop fuel is normally cheaper, anyways. Diesel is winterized in the colder climates when the weather starts to turn cooler. I would occasionally add anti-gel when the weather got really cold.

As for a recommendation as whether or not to buy a diesel, I won't give you a 'no way' or 'HELL YEAH' answer, but I will say that I wouldn't mind having another truck with a 6.2 (especially with gas prices like they are now).

Old 06-26-2000, 11:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a '90 K5 with the 6.2 diesel. Overall I have been pretty pleased with it in the 6 years I have owned it. The truck was my daily driver for about 4 years but since then it has become a weekend toy and mainly just gets used on the trails.
The only problems I have had were a faulty ECM and vacuum pump, but you can't really fault the engine on either of these. It now has over 100,000 miles on the original fuel pump, injectors, and glow plugs....though I'm sure it has lost some power over the years and I would like to replace these parts, it still runs just fine. For cold starting, the only time it hasn't started in the winter was due to a bad battery. Even in sub zero mornings it has always started right up even without having it plugged in.
Power wise, it's a little slow on the street but the low end torque is great on the trail. I'm currently running 35x12.50's with 4.10 gears and it has no problem coating the sides and roof of the truck with a liberal coating of mud. I haven't checked the mileage for a long time, but on a recent off road trip it only used 12 gallons after about a 250 mile round trip on pavement and another 8 hours of trailriding.
The only modification I have done to the engine is adding dual exhaust (or rather replacing it, mine came stock with duals). I used Rino mufflers (which should be similar to Flowmasters) and they sound really good. I constantly have people say that they thought it sounded like a gas motor and can't believe its a diesel. I ran glasspacks on it before and they sounded okay, but they seemed to wear out really fast which is probably due to the soot collecting in the fiberglass packing, but it sounded similar to a gas engine with the same mufflers just a little deeper tone and a little more mellow.
The fuel filters on the newer models (not sure what year they changed) are a much better setup when changing them. It is a rectangle cartridge that clamps onto a fitting on the firewall (no tools are needed) and has a built in bleeder valve that can be opened and closed by hand. I simply attached a piece of rubber hose to it, put the end of the hose in a container with a little fuel already in it, then crank the engine over a few times, close the bleeder and it starts.
For extra performance, a turbo is the ultimate but also pricey. Opening up the air intake and exhaust makes a big difference...this also lets you turn up the fuel pump (without getting to high of exhaust temperatures).
Also, for more info, check out the 6.2-6.5 GM diesel page ( I forget the exact web address).

6.2Blazer
Old 06-26-2000, 06:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, My 83 GMC K-2500 High Sierra Classic has a 6.2, and I have no complaint's...A friend of mine with a dodge that has a 360 was amazed when he used it to pull his camper, he always thought his dodge did a good job of pulling it, but was simply amazed by the truck...as for how well it does off-road...well, I've never gotten stuck in it, in fact I've had to pull my friends dodge out with it a time ot two, of course my off-roading is limited with 16 inch tire's and all, the problem I've ever had was the Automatic glow plug switch going out, so I just hooked the wires up to a switch and do it manually...I'm actually thinking of putting some bigger tire's on the 16 inch rims, but I'm not sure what size to go for....it'd have to be somthin cheap though...doesn't have to be agressive tread...just somthin that will make it sit a little higher, as for making it sound like a gas engine, well mine already had dual Exhaust, and I like the nice loud deep grumble of the diesel...

Old 06-26-2000, 06:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cooper Discover SST...they come in 35's, and I thinkyou can get em for 16 inch rims...im llokin into gettin em for my 16.5 inch rims

Shawn
-Kaiowas- [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2000, 01:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

First off, the 6.2/6.5 is not based on the olds 350, that was the old 5.7 diesel. And you do not have to bleed the injector lines when yoiu change fuel filters, only if you run it out of fuel. That said there are a couple things to be aware of. I've run several 6.2's in the mud, and the biggest drawback is the weight of the engine itself, heavier than a 454 is not a good thing for the mud obviously. My last 6.2 was a 82 1 ton that I was running 37's on, with 4.10's, to make it work good in the mud it needed 4.56's, anything less than 35" and 4.10's will be fine. I was running a single 3" exhaust with walker dyno-max turbo muffler and it sounded pretty good. I've run headers before on my blazer but did not realize the power gain that the single 3" gave. If you use the 87-93 glow plug controller you will have no problems (I've been using this controller to retrofit all the older 6.2's and 6.9/7.3 fords). Your pump should last well beyond 50K, I rebuild alot of them and usually get 150K out of them. If you get a truck that's not a heavy 3/4 or one ton then you'll want to get an intake from one (non-egr, much better flow).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement