MPG@ 9! GMT800 Tahoe 2000 5.3 4x4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

MPG@ 9! GMT800 Tahoe 2000 5.3 4x4

I get 9 mpg after moving to Florida. I was getting 16 mpg in Arizona with A.M. temps at 70 degrees; A.M. temps in FL are 40 degrees. Oil is 0-40 Mobil1. AZ driving was 15 miles each way on the freeway 5 days each week; Florida is stop and go for 1-3 miles, with some 100 feet elevation changes. Air filter is clean. No codes. Tires at 70 psi. 3.73 rear. Not towing; not doing the stop-light-drags. Wassup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:19 AM

Possible winter fuel blend. Idling and acceleration hit engines very hard.

If you're complaining about the mpg, don't lift for 37s like you wanted in the other post

Shorts
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

winter fuel reason for poor mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
Possible winter fuel blend. Idling and acceleration hit engines very hard.If you're complaining about the mpg, don't lift for 37s like you wanted in the other post
Thanks, Shorts! Fuel in AZ is always the winter blend (10% ethanol) due to pollution concerns, so I believe that's not the issue. Idle/accelerate is all I do anymore in Tallahassee, FL. I'll bet the cold-start conditions has something to do with it as well: more fuel injected at 40 degrees than 70 degrees ambient. I'm planning to test on the freeway: run until injectors are empty; fill with 1.0 gallon fuel; start and drive on freeway on a flat stretch at cruise-controlled 55 mpg until injectors empty again. Ya, the 37s extra weight and resistance to begin rolling should reduce the mpg even more. I will change gears to 4.88 if I run 37s.

Been on off-road.com since 2001.
G65 shocks are evil!
Boycotting Castrol for calling their Type III Syntec oil "Synthetic"; Boycotting Mobil1 for changing most of their bases to Type III and refusing to admit. Royal Purple identifies PAO/Type IV as their base; Red Line IDs Group V/ester as base. G80=Gov-Lock=>Locker,auto (not Limited-Slip)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 11:55 AM

I bet you're right, the cold does have a bit to do with it. The engine not getting up to operating temp will have it pouring on the fuel.

Shorts
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Addict

Bowtie4by, you may want to do a little research before running yourself out of gas - I understand that it is not good for an electric fuel pump to run dry.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump runner View Post
Bowtie4by, you may want to do a little research before running yourself out of gas - I understand that it is not good for an electric fuel pump to run dry.
Thank you, sir, for the suggestion! I will not be running it under dry conditions for long...just a few seconds if that. The engine stumbles and coughs when fuel is almost gone. I will shut-off immediately.

G65 shocks are evil!
Boycotting Castrol for calling their Type III Syntec oil "Synthetic"; Boycotting Mobil1 for changing most of their bases to Type III and refusing to admit. Royal Purple identifies PAO/Type IV as their base; Red Line IDs Group V/ester as base. G80=Gov-Lock=>Locker,auto (not Limited-Slip)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Re: Hi...Been a long time...checking in.

I`m simply saying "Hi!" I`ve been away for a long time. Happy to discover that I have a "Do not Delete" Post!

G65 shocks are evil!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode