Rear Brakes 1990 Chevy 1/2 Ton Work Truck - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Addict

wsmm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear Brakes 1990 Chevy 1/2 Ton Work Truck

Replacing the rear brakes on my 1/2 ton work truck. What a pain, worse brakes I've ever worked on. Still had a lot of lining on old brake shoes except they lining busted off on the bottom right at the reivets. The manual has you assembling the brakes on the floor and then slipping them on the axle. Problem #1, the emergency lever dose;nt reach all the way to the floor. However after loosing one eclip, and snapping one e clip I used a snap ring to hold on the lever. Had to leave off the tension washer as with it on the post wasn't long enough to put a clip on, the grove was still inside of the shoe material. Got the brakes on and when I tried to adjust them in enough to allow the drum to slip on the top spring would disconnect and come off. Even though they weren't really bad I took the drums up and had them turned, to hopefully gain enough room to have the shoes expanded out far enough to keep the spring from falling out on the top of the shoes.

Anyone else run into problems like this with the new 90 rear brake set up? Any helpful suggestions?

Thanks,
BIll
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 09:13 AM

Shorts is on a distinguished road

Been a while since I've done rear brakes but the last time was a nightmare and you need 3 pairs of hands to get it done. I don't recall leaving anything off.

Keep and eye on it though.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

yup di them ounce on my 89 14sf axle never touched the rear brakes again in a couple hundred thousand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement