1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton front axle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Journeyman

Griasev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton front axle

I have heard that doing this isn't quite feesable to do on the '88 - '98 trucks. Does anyone have some constructive critisim on this? I was laying under my companies 1 ton dually taking some measurements and comparing them to my 1/2 ton. There isn't really any big differences between the two. I'm swapping to 4.10's any way, and most come with that stock. The biggest thing I'd have to do would be getting the axle flanges re-drilled and tapped because the 3/4 is 1/2" farther spacing than the 1/2. If this does/will work I'd be planning on swapping out my rear 10 blt. to a 14 sf rear w/4.10's and detroit. If you're asking why I want to do this, it's because this is my DD/work truck/tow rig and anything else you can think of. My FA has metal shavings in it, and I've already blown the R&P apart in the rear 2 years ago. Thanks for any and all ideas.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2006, 11:44 PM

Shorts is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton front axle

If you're intending on swapping a 3/4t diff in place of a 1/2t, the mounting points are probably different. This 1/2t to 3/4t swap has been hashed before, though I can't remember much of it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I don't recall what else has to be addressed, sorry.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-01-2006, 11:56 PM
Old Hand

MouseMotor is an unknown quantity at this point

What you are trying to do is a big project.

The front ends of the trucks are fundamentally different. No parts are common between the front ends. In fact, they are even different track widths. No part to my knowledge will bolt from one to the other. You may end up running into axle shaft steering knuckle problems.

I'm not even sure if the 3/4 ton or full ton front end is really that much stronger. The brakes are much bigger for the extra weight, but you would be better off just upgrading the half ton parts.

Just my thoughts because i actually looked into doing exactly what you are planning with my truck. After looking at the work required, it just did not seem worth it.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

to be honest ive said it isnt doable before but thats just my opion and knowing the front ends are all together difrent.

but i just got to thinking, the 1/2 and 3/4 control arms may share the same mounting points. this would simplify things on the gm assembly line. the wider track width would be made up for in longer upper and lower arms. a beefier wider 3rd member.
why the 3/4s have wider front end i dont know. but that just got me to thinkn. what if they 1/2 and 3/4 tons shars cv shafts. also cheaper to share parts between trucks. the bigger 3rd member would cause the 1/2 ton shafts to get the front end alittler wider.

this is just me thinking outloud. never realy thought it through. all it would take would be alot of time one the phone and maybe 3/4 ton donor truck to delver into the project more.

either way a d44 is still stronger than the 3/4 ifs and easy to instal if you use one of many kits now on the market
Old 07-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

the comment on upgradeing the 1/2 ton.

you basicaly cant. the two trucks share idler and pitman arms. maybe even tie rod ends. and none of them last more a few times around town
Old 07-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Journeyman

Don't even think of control arms or nuckles, Just think of the axle itself. I don't really care if the outers are 1/2 instead of 3/4. That's why I'd be keeping the 1/2 ton stuff. The 3/4 is 1.5" longer from flange, to flange than the 1/2 and the only difference on the mount up from axle to frame is on the passenger side where the 2 bolts from the axle are approx. 1/2" further apart. The CV shaft to flange bolt pattern is slightly different but nothing a drill press and tap can't solve. Actuators are the same. So, why not?

Kid, I can see where you're getting at the the D44, but that's why I'm building a mud truck, so I can keep this one a good DD.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Old Hand

MouseMotor is an unknown quantity at this point

actually, the cv shafts are different.

as for the wider front ends, for some reason chevy likes to do that. the old k5s had about a 4 inch different between axle widths. in theory, it makes the truck slightly more stable.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Mud in my Veins

AJMBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

I was always told it was for turning. The narrower rear axle helps with turning or something. That said my Dodge, Suzukis, and my Ranger now that I put an Explorer 8.8" in the rear all turn fine with identical track widths.

I dunno if they're still in here but years ago there was a guy on here with a 90's 2 door Tahoe or Yukon on 6" of lift and 35's. He was also from Michigan and took it to Silver Lake a lot. He was going to do this swap after he kept breaking parts and ended up giving up on him because it was so much trouble. I think he basically said unless you were going to swap in the front half of the 3/4 ton frame it wasn't worth it.

Has anyone ever even done this? I've seen it speculated about many, many times but never seen anyone successfully complete it.

A solid front axle would probably be easier and cost the same if not less.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:39 PM
proliquid

I just put 1 Ton IFS under my half ton 93' full size blazer. Didnt have to many issues doing it. Along with a fuel injected 454 tranny and transfercase. Had to shorten front drive line 1" for the larger pumkin in the front. Axles and running gear came out of a 88' 3500 pickup.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Journeyman

So then, what where the issues that you ran into? If this is doable, then I'm seriously looking into doing it. What kinds of mods did it require you to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.