Z85????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Stranger

chase2306 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Z85?????

The other day i was driving and i looked up and i saw a late model chevy truck that said Z85 on the side. Is there such thing? If so what's included in that package? Is it better than a Z71??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2005, 08:02 PM

Shorts is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Z85?????

Is iot better than a Z71?? no. dih everyone knows the "Z71" sticker on the side adds 50hp to the truck. Its so cool

Anyway, the "Z" prefix in the RPO codes is a designator for the suspension packages. Z85 if I recall off the top of my fuzzy head is a street ride package. All that has to do with in general (again, off the top of my head) is the shocks and leaves.

The Z71 is an offroad package that has changed a bit as far as parts included as the years went by. But the main gist is shocks and skidplates.

If you want to be cool, just buy yourself stickers and put them on. Otherwise, get informed. Back in the late late 80s- early 90s chevrolet began a marketing plan that made them way too much money...putting cool stickers on the side of the bed. A little FYI, early 4x4s with the Z71 option in the RPOs did not come from the factory with Z71 stickers, they came with 4x4 stickers. It was later that they had a grand idea to use "Z71" stickers instead. Viola! We're all rich.

Oh, btw, my "Z71" is for sale, if you wanna be where the action's at, you need this truck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'll even drive it down to Texas for you when I go home for the holidays.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-27-2005, 09:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Z85 = Heavy Trailering Package

Probably Heavier torsion bars in the front, another leaf in the rear, and/or heavier duty shocks on all 4 corners.

Z83 = Chassis Package Solid Smooth Ride
Old 11-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Can't Get Enough

GTRider245 is an unknown quantity at this point

I always thought the Z85 was like the sport truck version. Never heard of a Z83
Old 11-28-2005, 01:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I looked up the rpo codes on a table I've got.

I remember building the truck I'd like to own (a few years ago) on GMCs website and seeing the Heavy Trailering Package with the Z85 code in the description.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:27 PM

Z85 is a heavy duty susp package
Old 11-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Can't Get Enough

GTRider245 is an unknown quantity at this point

So why does Chevy have a bedside sticker just to designate a heavy duty suspension package?
Old 11-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Superbowtie

The Poop Stright from Chevy about their Z ratings for the lil blazer :

Blazer's ladder-type frame with box rails is the base for a hefty variety of chassis

packages to meet a wide range of driving needs and driver personalities. For example:

Z83, standard on 2-door models, gives a smooth ride and is for light-duty trailering

while ZQ1 is standard on 4-door models (same attributes). The Z 85 Touring package is

optional and is designed for a firm ride and heavy-duty trailering while ZM6 is an

optional Off-Road package for 2-door, 4WD that provides a very firm ride and

heavy-duty trailering applications. The ZW7 Premium package is engineered for a

premium smooth ride and heavy-duty trailering for 4-door, 4WD.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So why does Chevy have a bedside sticker just to designate a heavy duty suspension package?

[/ QUOTE ]

$$$$ ---> marketing ploy..ahem, strategy. It was the same with the Z71 when it was introduced. If people see a new sticker, it has to be cool.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:59 PM
Superbowtie

Very True
Sponsored Links
Advertisement