97 k1500 transfer case - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2004, 02:36 PM
huntingonedown

Default 97 k1500 transfer case

My tranny recently went out in my 97 k1500 and since replacing it Ive had problems with my transfer case. If the tranny wasnt difficult enough now my transfer case wants to clang while at crusing speeds. It pops and wants to jump outta gear into neutral. I took into our local speedlube and had the tranny back flushed to get rid of the older fluid and had them check the fluid in the transfer case. The damn thing was about empty. Then the debate on what fluid to fill with started. My haynes manual stated that I should have a electronic t.c..(transfer case) I do have two electronic conectors on the top of it. Speedlubes manual said that I needed the special purple fluid from the dealer. So I went to get it and they said "no, dextron III". Owners manual "dextron III". So it was filled with the tranny fluid. No help, still pops and clunks. When I removed the t.c. shifter linkage I didnt move the adjuster at all. Took it off and set it aside. At first I thought that I might have it outta adjustment but it will shift into 4hi and low. It wont make any noise in 4 hi either. Im figuring has to do with the added touque, being that its all engaged. So hears my delema, is it a electronic or not? np241, nv241? Where can I get a rebuild kit if its shot? How about a manual on this new process transfer case? Internal parts and where to get em? Basically, just about any input would be greatly appriciated. Ed
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2004, 11:55 PM

Shorts is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 97 k1500 transfer case

you might wanna look at replacing the shift fork in the tcase, they go bad and bend just enough the tcase wants to pop out of gear. it makes a rather ugly popping grinding sound. if you don't fix it asap, you're going to damage some other gears in there = $$$$$. i know, u had to have mine rebuilt.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-12-2004, 08:24 PM
huntingonedown

Thanks for the reply. Its doin exactlly what you said in your reply. Pops and sounds like its hitting another tooth on another gear. Any ideas on where I can get a manual covering my transfer case?
Old 12-12-2004, 09:04 PM

Shorts is on a distinguished road

i had one, but wiped out my computer so i lost it. Krayzie probably has a diagram if you can get ahold of him.

search the forums and see if there is one archived somewhere. it seems like there would be...or a tranny or something
[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.