Parking Brake Problems on Yukon XL - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2003, 08:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Parking Brake Problems on Yukon XL

Ok...what's the trick to tightening this? I'm stumped. The tention bolt on the cable near the rear tire is tight, yet I can put the pedal right to the floor with nearly no resistance? I've never come across this on any other "carborated" vehicle I've ever owned....what am I missing? [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Old Hand

dhcomp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Parking Brake Problems on Yukon XL

Our 01 tahoe and every newer body style truck i've driven is the same way. It has to do with the way the parking brake works on the rear disks. Its not part of the regular caliper my dealer says, they said its some wierd little thing inside the rotor or something. The service guy said that if you saw teh part you wouldn't ask it to do anything at all [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

But yea, the whole idea of not having a good e-brake scares me, as does parking a trailer and having the weight be absorbed by the tranny and not the parking brake when parked.

I always park on a hill, so in my 94 and our 96 we had the e-brakes tightened way tight so you can't evne push it to the ground. For months mine didn't budge when i set the brake and parked it on a hill [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-06-2003, 08:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I feel so much better that it's a design flaw, and not me. [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] My 2000 Z71 had the same problem and failed when I got it inspected. I had to have my window fixed at the dealership, so I had the guy fix the break too....didn't know they didn't do what I just tried to do. Someone shoot the engineer for this one. Thanks for the reply. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Veteran

90K5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard this is some kind of design flaw, and they have a different part to repalce it. my 01 rocks a little when the p brake is set and i take my foot off the brake pedal...K5 never did that, thinkin its "infected" too, i just dont use the parking break enough to worry about it, i dont think there is a hill in this entire town
Old 10-07-2003, 05:23 PM
Pooh-Bah

J.R. is an unknown quantity at this point

That's the silly part of it. Four wheel disc brakes gets you a "drum and shoe" for the parking brake.

The is a hoop that has about two pads on it. There is a lever in there that controls a wheel piston, pushes it out to make contact with the inside of the rotor.

Had this on my S-10 ('98), and it didn't take long for it to go out of whack again...

Old 10-07-2003, 05:46 PM
Old Hand

dhcomp is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, why the hell couldn't they use a e-brake system like the old caddy rear calipers?
Old 11-09-2003, 07:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

they are called "Easey effort" they are ment to be like that now as for adjusting them this is how you do it..first you have to put the rear on jack stands and pull the rear wheels off. Then 2 18mm bolts will pull the caliper and calliper bracket off, after that the brake rotor will slide off (if the parking brake didnt wear a lip on the inside) if it did just fight it off, turn when you are pulling it off. Most likley the shoe has been rubbing on the drum inside the rotor there is a campain for a new clip to hold the shoes on. you will probley have to replace the shoes and maybe have the lip cut off the rotor any GM dealer will have the shoes in stock... its not to hard but the rotrs are around $300 a pop so i sugest cutting the lip off of them. Make sure you put lock tight on those 18mm bolts when you put them back on cause they are the onley thing holding your rear callipers on your axel

Good luck
Colin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.