98 chev, 4X4 won't engage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2003, 11:57 AM
Journeyman

holsters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 98 chev, 4X4 won\'t engage

I have a 98 Z71 p/u, all stock, that the 4X4 suddenly quit. Was towing my CJ in the mountains, put it in 4 low to pull up muddy hill and front would not engage. As this truck does not have front hubs I'm not sure where to start. There appears to be an external actuator on front dif. Is this a solinoid to engage the front axles? If so is this a part that commonly fails? Another unusual symptom is that in drive/low range the auto trans would not up shift, it would manually shift to 2nd but not 3rd. I would appreciate some advice and/or a link to a trouble shooting/repair guide. Tried a search, no joy. I appoligize in advance if this is a commonly addressed problem on this BB. I'm ussually found on the Jeep SWB BB. Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Family Left Me

willyswanter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 98 chev, 4X4 won\'t engage

Common problem, actuator on front axle goes out. Go buy a new one or get a posi-lock. Theres a review of the posi-lock on the main chevy page here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-24-2003, 05:48 PM
Pooh-Bah

J.R. is an unknown quantity at this point

Did the posi-lok on my '98 S-10. Cool little toy, and more-or-less easy to install. Not planning on doing anything to my '98 Full Size until the damned warranty runs out! [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2003, 06:10 PM
Journeyman

holsters is an unknown quantity at this point

Posi-lok looks pretty straight forward. I can get it locally for $165 and change. Install doesn't look like a big deal. I'll put it in in the next couple of weeks and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the info. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement