Hard code 43 ,93 k1500 Help need info - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2003, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Hard code 43 ,93 k1500 Help need info

Help,need esc circuit diagram for 93 K1500 5.7 with A/T.
I have a constant code 43,replaced ign module,ecm checked good,New knock sensor(wasnt out,just bad shape) have 4.8 volts at sensor, truck advances at idle,but retards under load,badly. Feel there is erroneous signal to ecm.93 is differnet than 92,but cant find enough info to verify smae as 94.it seems 93 is an odd year.(strike year i presume).
Will take care of the person who can email me this info.
jeff2kar@cfl.rr.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2003, 11:43 PM

Shorts is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hard code 43 ,93 k1500 Help need info

43 is knock sensor - too low of voltage for pcm. make sure you connected the wiring harness. also, disconnect the battery for a few minutes/erase the code. let the pcm relearn the sensors.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-09-2003, 11:47 PM

Shorts is on a distinguished road

according to chilton's knock sensor is circuit 496 dark blue wire to pin B15 ofthe PCM
Old 06-10-2003, 06:45 AM
Pooh-Bah

pfunk1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

one thing that allways sets that code is make sure the knock sensor wire (dk blue) is far away from spark plug or coil wires, it interferes with the signal and gives you a code, happens a lot of times during tuneups and engine replacements (speaking from experience)
Old 06-10-2003, 06:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

im,sorry,dont take this wrong.
I have done a diagnostics of the knock sensor circuit,I am fully aware of the code ,how the system works,and how to clear codes. Chilton(surprise,surprise) is for what i call "monkey mechanics",it is often generic and incorrect.The only thing that book is good for is parts replacement(and then i sometimes am discouraged). I need a Factory equivalent circuit diagram,so as to do a circuit check for possible short/open.scan tool readings are too inconsistent to fault anything at this point.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

not you pfunk,but yes i thought of that too,but very good suggestion.
no this is a hard failure at starup,not intermittent.which tells me there is a prob in the circuit.
KEEP IN MIND, this truck went to three tech shops before it was brought to me. I used to work for chevy,and no longer have access to srvice manuals [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2003, 07:09 AM
Pooh-Bah

ive rewired thiese systems from top to bottom. (and also have all the wiring diagrams (GM)) you need to run an uninterfering voltage tester from the wire to the sensor. Voltage engine on and running shoutld be around 5volts. if your reading lowwer than 4volts, the computor is detedting a knock. When does the code hit, the computor checks that circute when engine temp is above 90degreesF once everytime at startup. if thats when your problem is happening, thier is a problem with the circut (grounded or broken) have you hooked up a scan tool to the engine to see when this is occuring, also run the scan while driving to make sure the other sensors are in check and your block learn isnt too high. is the engine rpm reading irratic on the scan? Ive had plenty of problems with the ESC system, and like i said, 99% of the time its bad wire routing/connections (especially on high performace ignition systems) hope this helps, you really need to run a scan and have the tool set to light up an led at low voltage to the esc circut
Old 06-10-2003, 07:23 AM
Pooh-Bah

another question, was the ignition modual bad? did it run good for a little bit and then start getting ****ty again? Ill tell ya right know what to replace. ignition modual falures are always from high heat or vibration, causing a dissconnect in the modual itself. One of the major causes of this falure is a bad rpm pickup coil, they cause the modual to burn out in a short amount of time. Also, ive checked them for resistance, and they ussually come out good, even when they are bad. so as a good rule of thumb, every time i replace a ignition modual, i spend the extra $10 and put in a pickup coil. it sucks that you have to pull the distributor, but its well worth the peice of mind. BTW sevice calls for every time you replace the coil, you have to replace the modual.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

good suggestions,but been there, i did inquire about the pick-up coil tho,but didnt follow thru with the check myself. the voltages are good and consistent to the knock sensor.
Code sets immediatly at startup. scan tool readings are steady and normal,except the knock signal go's thru the roof(ok not that bad) under load. with a timing light hooked up and monitoring scan tool. eng advances at idle,under load-let the timing battle begin. it seems the truck is trying to advance but slowly gets beaten down to base set timing,of course bogging it badly.motor is quiet,map sensor good ,tps good and smooth.fuel pressure and regulator perfect pressures.High resistance at the pick-up,hadnt occured to me,but the sudden code has me bewildered. I also have considered a mem-cal failure.but i dont like being a component replacer.i always want to know why.Thats where the circuit pic comes in,so i can do a physical check of each circuit to their respective compnents.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:16 AM
Pooh-Bah

disconnect the 2 wire plug at the distributor and if it still runs, pickup coil and ignition modual, im betting on the pickup and modual, because the circut is performing as it should. i know it sucks to take the distributor out, but im pretty sure thats what it is. est problems in the manual recomend that 1)grounded wire (not your problem cause its reading on a scan)
2)ignition wires too close to est circutry
3)ignition modual
4)pickup coil and ignition modual
Thats the whole system, except for the ecm, (but your computor is reading low voltage, so its functioning fine)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement