how many off-road lights is enough? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2003, 03:18 PM
Aprentice

spunger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how many off-road lights is enough?

Hey guys, I got a question.

I've done the searches on here and didn't really find an answer to my lighting question. I'd like to add 2-4 off-road lights (or 3) doesn't matter to me. I can see there are 55 watt, 100watt 130watt, 150watt etc.. with all different ammounts of candle power. I know more is better, but also runs hotter etc...

SO...my question is sort of like this. I'd rather buy 2 expensive lights that will light up the off-road enviorment better than 4 cheaper lights. I probably won't do any wood/forest driving but if anything sand dunes. I have looked at Hella, Pro Comp, and KC. My girlfriend has Hella 550's on her 4-runner and they are very bright. Another buddy has 8" pro comp lights and I thought they were horrible. I have never seen KC though.

So what I am looking at doing is the plastic cover where the tow hooks are, cut out holes and mount driving lights there like the Hella 550's or equivlent KC ones. Then having a off-road hoop or light bar with 2 KC's or Hella's OR if for some reason 4 is that much better than 2?

Please help me out guys, I am just looking to see idea's and opinions on what would work better, 2 or 4?

Chris
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2003, 03:47 PM
ratlover

Default Re: how many off-road lights is enough?

I really like hellas. I had 2 with 130w bulbs and they lit up the world.

Make sure you run stuff off relays and dont go cheap on the wire and try to get by with 20 gauge [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Run thicker wire than necissary, bigger is better.

Also if you try running enough lights that make your truck look like clark griswalds house(think national lampoons) you will work the hell outa your alt and possibly drain your batt

At least 1 back up light is very nice too BTW

Portable [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img] is [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-19-2003, 04:25 PM
Old Hand

4x4mike is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a set of the Hella 500's .I had the ProComps and I loved them. Actually they threw out a better pattern than the Hella do. If you are going to be doing high speed stuff you want a pencil light to put a lot of light out, far. Maybe something to light up the corners. Slow speed stuff is almost opposite and is up to you in your application.
A tractor light under the rear bumper is also very useful.
Michael
Old 05-19-2003, 04:40 PM
Aprentice

spunger is an unknown quantity at this point

Which pro comp ones did you have? I was looking on 4 wheel parts site and they have some like KC's with rubber mounting gaskets. I think they were 100 watt. I was looking at some LightForce reviews. Seem good, except that from the Jeep and the reviews it could have used 4 lights.

I like pro comp lights because they seem cheap in price. Well.....they don't come with a wiring kit so that is probably where the savings are. I can wire them up though myself with no problems.

I plan on running some 55watt beams under the bumper inline with the headlights as driving lights. The off-road lights for the most will be looks until I get a chance to go off-road. 4 lights on a pro-runner bar seems over kill. Especially if they are crappy lights.

What I want to do is get their Pro Comp hoop or pro runner bar and do 2 8" lights, along with my driving lights should make a good combo, and if I ever wanted to add more lights just modify the light bar for 2 more.

My buddy doesn't like his pro comp lights because it is a flood/spot all in one light. He says they rattle loose etc.. but then again I don't think he installed them right. I will take a better look at some pro comp stuff.

Thanks guys, keep em comming,
Chris
Old 05-19-2003, 06:50 PM
Old Hand

4x4mike is an unknown quantity at this point

They were the 6" 100 watt. I liked them because even far away they still had a spot. I guess they were like a spot and flood in one. You should PM Peacock, I sold them to him although he hasn't posted anything about them.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:49 PM
Old Hand

Jwingfield2k is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, the plastic piece you're talking about by the tow hooks. Do you mean the air dam thing? If so I wouldn't suggest mounting anything, seeing how to first time I drove into a dried ravince I took a nose dive into the bottom of the ditch and ripped that "platic piece" to shreds. Depending on what you're doing to be doing and your ability to avoid contact with the ground vs the air damn. Ya might crush your lights, and rip out the wiring if the air dam was the tear away like mine did. Just food for though, hope that helped.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:50 PM
Addict

FunInTheMud is an unknown quantity at this point

If you really want to get a good set of aux lights, buy some HID xenon ones (not the cheap ones at Autozone either [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). Hella makes some great ones, but they are around 500 bucks. That includes lights, wiring, ballast, etc. I am considering doing a hid healight conversion, just because I love the amount of light they give off.

FunInTheMud
Old 05-19-2003, 11:51 PM
Journeyman

GoCougs is an unknown quantity at this point

I had 2 Hella 550's on my 4Runner. They worked great and really lit up the night sky. They are very bright and dont really heat up to much. I would recomond Hella 550's

Mitch
Old 05-20-2003, 12:02 AM
bowtie_guy

I have a set of KC Daylighters, 150 watts each in a 6 inch stainless steel housing. AWSOME!!! Not the cheepest but well worth it. Comes with the switch, wiring and whatnot. They are 385,000 candle power I beleave. For off road use only but on winding roads at night (highways) I will flick them on and it's like daytime, can still go a nice speed because you can see it all!!!

I would recoment these lights to anyone!!!

PS. Don't put em on that air dam, I know I have had my truck sitting on it before when I get into ruts from guys with real tires and if I had lights they would be history.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:11 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

wrath is an unknown quantity at this point

Those el-cheapo $30 Rallye brand oval 100 watt lights you can get at Wally world work pretty good. They do get pretty hot though, too hot to touch. They're cheap enough you don't have to worry about someone stealing them.

Nothing beats a KC 6x9 with 130 watt bulbs though. You want barkburners, those are barkburners. Five feet away they'll make your fingers toasty.

In either case, the beam is for lighting up the road 1-2 miles ahead of you. You have to aim them wisely or else you'll be lighting up the treetops like searchlights. Also, both are bright enough where if you have an expressway sign ahead of you it is nearly impossible to read because it's so bright.

Hella lights cost too much money for me to buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.