95 Z71 lower ball joint remove/replacement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2003, 05:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 95 Z71 lower ball joint remove/replacement

My truck is out of alignment and the alignment shop said it needed new lower ball joints. So i asked them to show me and sure enought they had some play. My quesion is how do you replace the lower ball joints on 4x4. My Haynes manual just says separate the lower ball joint from teh lower control arm. But i don't see any rivets holding them in (have replaced ball joints on S-10's before) so am i just supposed to get a 2jaw puller and start cranking away or what? If so do I haved to get them pressed back in w/a hydrolic press? Or do i have to remove the LCA and have a shop press them out and press them back in?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sparty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 95 Z71 lower ball joint remove/replacement

XXX XXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX XX XXXX XXXX!

i mean umm shorts will know
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-02-2003, 05:29 PM

Shorts is on a distinguished road

if they are riveted in, then you need to grind/drill/torch them out....mine were REALLY stubborn. i think you'll need to undo the tbar so you can get some droop on the LCA to seperate it from the knuckle.

if the ball joints are pressed in, then just take the LCA off and the new ball joint to a shop and they'll press them out/in in about 20 minutes., then all you have to do is put the LCA and tbar back on, then go get it aligned.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Also it looks to me that the lower ball joint is pressed into the LCA. Do you have to take this off and have a shop press them in. Do you have to remove the torsion bar or is there some way around this. its a 95
Old 04-02-2003, 06:02 PM

if the BJ needs to be pressed in, then you have to take the LCA off, and the requires pull the tbar
Old 04-06-2003, 02:03 PM
93RedBlazer

I just replaced mine. You will need to remove the LCA. Knock the joint out of the knuckle with a hammer. You must drill out the head of the rivets and use a punch to knock out the rest. dont drill out the whole thing because you'll make the holes to big. The replacement comes with bolts and nuts instead of rivets. Have fun!!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2003, 11:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You see? This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. Why post when you don't have anything worth saying other than "Ohh Ohh! Shorts knows this one! She'll get with you in a bit"?

POST PADDER! [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2003, 12:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

u4ia4 is an unknown quantity at this point

ignoring the hypocritical nature of this very post....why post to complain about some elses post. its the same damn thig as posting something that doesnt help. you already started a "b!tch post" why hijack this one for the same purpose.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:32 PM

ok, no more - lay off sparty already. the post that he has on there now wasn't his original post. he originally posted about needing to use a pickle fork on the thing...but after he read my post and we IMed about it, he laughed at his answer and changed it...k?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement