454 vs 350 gas mileage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2003, 07:08 PM
Old Hand

Jwingfield2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 454 vs 350 gas mileage

What type of difference would I be getting from a 454 or a 350 in gas mileage. say 35's, 4:10's, but is a 454 going to get alot worse gas mileage or just a little worsE?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

u4ia4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 454 vs 350 gas mileage

there will be a bit ofa difference prolly, but nothing to severe. i mean c'mon. 6,000 pound truck, lift, tires and waht not...one or 2 miles per gallon difference wont break you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-27-2003, 08:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

454 will get worse to a 350 lifted, but not too much less. lets say 1-3 mph gallon less.

The higher the ride, the better head. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

99 GMC sierra 4x4 SC 350
82 F-250 diesel 4x4 SC warn 12k, 10"super 39.5 boggers
03 Grizzly 660
Old 02-27-2003, 08:57 PM
Enthusiast

Bowtiepower00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends on the truck, the bigger it is the closer it will be. Willys got better mileage in his crew cab 454 before he lifted it than I do with my reg cab 350. Either way I wouldn't expect much more than 12mpg if it's lifted with 35's...
Old 02-27-2003, 10:39 PM
Addict

FunInTheMud is an unknown quantity at this point

Now wait a minute, wouldn’t a 454 be more efficient than a 350? Because it would be easier to get a truck movin with a 454 rather than a 350, and a hell of a lot easier than a 305 [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Right?
FunInTheMud
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2003, 10:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That would be true but it's easier because you're blowin up more air and fuel for more power [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2003, 10:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That sounds good but no. A 454 motor takes more fuel to run because it is a greater cubic inch then a 350. Meaning bigger cylinder, bigger pistons, more fuel needed. A stock 454 on a pickup with stock tires, Run about 8 miles to the gallon loaded or unloaded.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:58 PM
Mechanix

Hmm I don't have any numbers for you but I would say bad for a 350 and worse for a 454.. But you'll have more fun burnin that gas with a 454 [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2003, 11:22 PM
Enthusiast

Bowtiepower00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't aware that a 454 was a bigger engine than a 350. It takes a lot more throttle to get a small block truck moving, so the difference usually isn't that great. If you are bashing around with your foot to the floor, then yeah the 454 is going to use a lot more gas. A fuel injected truck with OD and stock tires will get closer to 12 mpg, not 8, which is about what a small block truck gets. This has been covered before, more than once. [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 12:18 AM
Enthusiast

b454rat is an unknown quantity at this point

Got to throw the [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] on that one. I have a 97 with a 454, 4 speed auto, stock size tires, and when I drove to Colorado with it, I was getting about 14-15 mpg, doing 70. My truck gets better mileage than the old mans Dog, er Dodge with a 360. If you keep your foot off the pedal, gas isn't as bad as people think. Just my two bits...... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.