cam change TBI - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2003, 11:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default cam change TBI

hello all,this is first post, and hope to keep using this board alot more.After reading other messages this
looks like the place to be, i'm not new to wheelin,engine building or tranny's and the like, but i am new to cam swapping in a TBI motor, i've got 89 350 TBI"K"VIN. have looked at the other cam change post and did not answer my Q's,so i want to know what computer or sensor and engine block changes need to made to swap to a roller cam. If i am repeating a post Q just point me in the right direction.
THANKSS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2003, 10:11 AM
Enthusiast

b454rat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: cam change TBI

As long as you don't put a huge cam in, you won't have to make any changes. I didn't use roller, but I had good results with Comp Cams. The shop that built the motor for my car swears by them. With your 350, I would go around a 260 or 262 . Any more duration and your computer won't agree with it. If you go to the Comp Cams site they have all the cams listed and should help you choose a cam.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-20-2003, 11:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

no swaps needed,

260 sounds alittle big to me,

your look at 600 bucks to go roller
Old 02-20-2003, 12:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i'm choosing a roller cam because they can produce more torque than most any flat tappet cam.torque is my goal. i also have the computer dyno software for picking a cam and lots of other engine combo's. it just helps to get advice before buying any parts.Also a shorter duration is better for torque. i run 295 in my big block charger(car) but it see's 7000rpm pretty easy. My truck engine need only get to 4000 if needed.
[img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2003, 01:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

your right in going roller, you cant lose there.

seeing as how you have the software you more then likly know better then me what cam will work for your needs

Id just tossed 249 cam in my tbi 350 and let me tell you its pulls alot harder from idle to the upper rpms where it seems to kinda sing off. well I guess I cant atribute that to just the cam as its hole new motor in the truck. the engine i worked over was a roller block and it tore me up to go with a standerd cam, just couldnt come up with that kinda cash to get the roller cam and roller lifters.

damn it would be cool to have roller vavle train from the cam to rockers. sonofa, lol one of these days I guess,

turbo city has a MAP adjuster alowing you to run alittle bigger cam and still keep the computer happy.

www.turbocity.com

also if you know someone in the right place you might be able to get the roller set up for far less then 600 bucks.

I think if I had it to do over again Id go with a slightly bigger cam and get MAP adjuster.

though ounce I get some lower gears I dont think its going to feel like the same truck, planning to regear just the rear to 4.56 and be 2wd for awhile.

anyways Ive strayed way off the subject,good luck with your decision

Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement