TH350 Rebuild Time - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2000, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default TH350 Rebuild Time

My Th350 has finally given out. I am now trying to decide whether or not to rebuild it or replace it with an aftermarket one. I have looked at the t-700 from jet performance (i.e. Premier Performance) and the sm-465. Has anyone had a similar decision to make and if so what did you go with? Price is a factor, the mechanic I took it to says it will be around $1000 to rebuild it. If I stick with the 350 is there a cheaper way to go about it?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2000, 12:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: TH350 Rebuild Time

You better get another mechanic. I just got a damn nice rebuild (new clutched, plates, seals, gaskets, torque converter and valve body) for $275. I pulled the transmision myself. Been running it for 6 weeks now. That sounds very high.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-30-2000, 01:06 PM
Pooh-Bah

Scoobydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

The turbo 350 is the cheapest tranny to rebuild!!! that price is WAY TOO HIGH !!!
It shouldn't cost more than around $250. I would stick with the T350, but find a different shop. Also since you are doing the tranny now, I would suggest you get a heavy duty torque converter($100), and while they are rebuilding it, now would be the best time to put a shift kit in it($60), and a cast aluminum pan with a drain plug, cooling fins, 2 qts more fluid($100). And if your truck does not already have one? put the biggest tranny cooler on that will fit($60). If you do this stuff you still should be well under $1000 even if you have the shop R&R it for you. But with these modifications, this should be the last tranny you will ever need. (heat kills trannys)

Old 05-30-2000, 01:55 PM
FWP

I agree with Scooby, with a couple additions. A good shop will know what I'm refering to. Have the direct clutch drum bushing replaced with the wider one, stock is .500, replaced with a .750 wide bushing. Also add a hardened intermediate roller clutch outer race, the stock ones tend to crack. I like to run a tranny temp gage, you can make sure you're not smoking anything. If you're interested in the details, Summit sells an excellent manual "Turbo hydra-matic 350 handbook.

Maverick [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2000, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

His price is in line. The stator shaft splines strip off on high miler trannys and if they replaced that then it sounds reasonable. I rebuilt mine myself and after getting it appart I found the the stator shaft about stripped and the foward sprag had detonated and chewed up the forward drive drum. Local shop sold me some used parts that were in near new condition for $70 including a complete pump with good stator shaft he beefed up a sprag for me (you double the springs real simple but effective trick) and a complete 250 foward drum that by swaping the piston out of the TH350 works fine and you can get the extra clutches in that the 350 uses over a 250. So to do it myself with the extra destruction from the blown sprag it cost me right at $200.
parts list
rebuilt converter
new clutches
new steels
new seals/ gaskets
sprag that was beefed
foward drive drum
pump
tranny cooler line flush
Wide stator shaft/converter bushing
book on how to

Grim-Reaper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.