I need Help with a buick 455 swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2000, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I need Help with a buick 455 swap

How hard would it be to put a Buick 455 in an 83 3/4 ton GMC with a 350 in it now. I can get a running 455 from the junkyard for $300, and the 350's rings never seated right, so I was thinking I could swap in the 455. I know I need a transmission adapter, but what I really want to know about is the motor mounts. Do I need to weld new ones in? Will the buicks mounts be in the same spot? I really need to gather all the info so when I yank the 350 I won't be surprised by what I find. P.S. Advance Adapters was no help.

Thanks everyone,
George

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2000, 07:31 PM
RolngThun

Re: I need Help with a buick 455 swap

I really like the Buick 455, king of torque.
You didn't say auto or stick, if auto I would recommend having your output shaft installed into a B.O.P. case, instead of messing with the adapters. You will probally have to install the Buick frame mounts to match the engine. I weld,some find ways to bolt.
It has been almost ten years since I have messed with them, but some things that come to mind are, fan offset different for Chev shroud, starter may be on the other side as well as fuel pump. I put one in a 79 Grand Prix and had clearence problems with the oil filter and crossmember.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2000, 08:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: I need Help with a buick 455 swap

The 78 to 80 Diesels had Olds engines. The mounting is close and I don't think it's going to be hard.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolngThun View Post
I really like the Buick 455, king of torque.
You didn't say auto or stick, if auto I would recommend having your output shaft installed into a B.O.P. case, instead of messing with the adapters. You will probally have to install the Buick frame mounts to match the engine. I weld,some find ways to bolt.
It has been almost ten years since I have messed with them, but some things that come to mind are, fan offset different for Chev shroud, starter may be on the other side as well as fuel pump. I put one in a 79 Grand Prix and had clearence problems with the oil filter and crossmember.
i didn't realize that i will be finding a lot of answers in here from a year old thread which already filled with cobwebs and skeleton from the thread makers.lol anyway no questions for now i am just depending on the information that i get in here. like another dead thread like this http://forums.off-road.com/jeepster-...r-club/113604-buick parts-350-flywheel.html

Last edited by ronierogers; 09-25-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode