Divorced transfer case - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2000, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Divorced transfer case

I was wondering what advantages/disadvantages a divorced transfer case had over a married unit? I know all the ones I have seen have been on long rigs.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2000, 09:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Divorced transfer case

This might be a good question to post to the Ford list. Up to the mid 1970's some of them came with factory divorced NP205's. I'm not sure up to what year though (possible 1978?).

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-2000, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only advantage that I can think of right now is that it allows for a longer front drive shaft which reduces the angle at which it runs. The reason that you see them on long rigs is b/c there is enough room and length to move the transfercase back without making the rear driveshaft real short. Also on the long rigs it makes the rear drive shaft shorter so it might give a greater break over angle in the rear, but I'm not entirely sure of that.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2000, 04:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How about the fact that you can use a 2WD tranny instead of a 4WD version which we all know are outragious in price.

<font color=red>BIGBURB<font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2000, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You might be able to position the divorced t/c right in the middle of your chassis so that both front and rear driveshafts are equal length - maybe then you could have one spare driveshaft to fit front or rear trail repairs.

Old 04-27-2000, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You have to remember though that you have basically a third driveshaft between the tranny and transfercase to worry about breaking also, luckly it usually isn't put under as much stress as the other driveshafts.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2000, 09:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

CJDave is an unknown quantity at this point

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Having grown up with all WW II army stuff on our ranch....all of which had separate cases... there IS one other advantage to it as well, and that is WHEN YOU ARE IN LOW RANGE......the "multiplied" torque is passed partly to the crossmember and the engine doesn't feel the difference. This is much easier on motor mounts, bell housings, and transmissions. There also doesn't seem to be the amount of "slop" in separate cases that there is in the combinations. I'm talking movement in splines here.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement