88 Silverado HELP!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2000, 03:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 88 Silverado HELP!!!!

I just recently bought a 1988 4X4 Silverado cheap, The truck has problems with it's 305 TBI engine and 4Wd systems. I want to replace the 305 with a 350 and possibly a TPI conversion, Also I need to cheaply convert the full time 4wd to two wheel drive, but with a system that can take a normal amount of abuse. Any other mods that you think would help improve perfomace and fuel economy please inform me of. THANKS!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2000, 05:56 AM
Enthusiast

Bowtiepower00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 88 Silverado HELP!!!!

Well the 350 swap will be pretty simple. You'll probably have to do some computer changing but that's not too difficult, it should plug right in. I know a guy who swapped a 350 for a 305 in his 93 and he had no problems. It did however cost him 3-5 MPG. I also knew a guy who built a 383 and it ran perfect after a computer swap. The TBI works well so unless you have money to burn, the TPI isn't really necessary. As far as the 4X4 system goes, it might be as simple as the activator that screws into the front diff housing. Those burn out often. Rancho makes a tougher replacement. (check summit) I don't remember seeing a "part-time" conversion kit and i don't really see why you'd need one. The stock IFS will hold up okay under normal driving and with tires no larger than 35", but if you like to drive hard and/or run big tires you will ruin just about everything on the front end. The only way around this is an axle swap which (unless you know how to weld and fabricate) will run you 2 grand or more. As far as performance is concerned, new exhaust (including headers) will give you a HUGE boost. Flipping over your air cleaner lid will give you a little boost too. Hope this helps.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-17-2000, 01:34 AM
Mud in my Veins

AJMBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

JC Whitney has this thing called the Posi-Lok that replaces the whole front part of the 4x4 system with a cable actuated unit. You just shift the nob into 4hi or 4lo, and then pull the handle out. It also gives you the ability to have 2lo by simply shifting the truck to 4lo, but not pulling the cable handle out. It's the best in reliability. No vacuum or hydraulic or other crap to screw up, or break, or disengage, or freeze, or boil, or leak. I'm getting it as soon as I have the cash around. Gotta fix some other things first. Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, Rancho 2-3" lift, 285/75R16's
Old 04-17-2000, 03:10 PM
Blazer1970

That truck doesn't have full time 4 wheel drive. It is just a normal NP241 part time case. Just leave the t-case shifter in 2HI, and nothing on the front end turns (actually, the axle shafts turn, since it has a center disconnect). Oh, and that posi-lock thing is just a manual replacement for the factory thermally acutated (electric) center axle disconnect.

1970 CST Blazer - 350, SM465, NP205. 1st gen. Blazers rule
Old 04-17-2000, 06:33 PM
Corey-88K5

Well it looks like we have some issues to contend here with. First of all, in 1988 GM Never made a S-10 Silverado, you may have a Tahoe if its a s-10. Either way, you do not have a fulltime case, its parttime. Both versions S & K never had a 305 in 88, and there has never been a production v-8 in a s-10.

What I think you have is a 88K5, stock 350TBI and NP208 (the NP241 did not enter the scene until either 89 or 90). If you are having a problem with the fourwheel drive system, what is the problem? Do the tires not spin or does it seem to never have power? Stock tires? stock gears? modifications? We need a little more to go on.

Corey
88K5

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez
Old 04-18-2000, 12:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have posted this before but what the hell, why not. First you will need to write down all of the option codes for your truck. They are located in the glove box on the sticker. Then go to http://www.thirdgen.org, it is a web site for the third generation f-body cars. Then go to tech central and select rpo decoder. Just plug in your option codes and it will let you know what is in your truck. If it is stock. It worked on most of mine. The engine codes should start with an L. I have a 88 K5 Blazer with the option code of L05, which is 5.7L, TBI. If you are needing the axle codes they will start with a G. Hope this helps. By the way, who mentioned anything about an S10?

Blaze 88
Old 04-18-2000, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Corey buddy...get some sleep, lay off the crack, Quit having ColoradoK5 and Off-Road up at the same time. Nothing was said about a S anything. The guy has a truck not a Blazer.
ahahaha Just giving you a hard time.

Grim-Reaper
Old 04-18-2000, 11:12 AM

Shorts is on a distinguished road

lol i second that.....Corey? is everything alright?? just put the keyboard down...very slowly...

Shorts
Old 04-18-2000, 11:33 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Corey, looks to me like what the guy has is an '88 K1500 with the Silverado interior. I don't think he mentioned anything about and S-10. And 305's were in the C/K trucks in '88 as far as I know. They're just rare 'cause nobody wanted 'em. But, you are right about the part-time T-case, although it should be a 241, not 208 if he's talking pickup instead of K5. Right?</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Old 04-19-2000, 10:05 AM
Corey-88K5

Alright Grim, Shorts & Tex....

You semi got me on that one. I didn't even think P/U. I was taking for granted the IFS was on a S-10. I guess I do have CK5 on the brain a bit too much. As a matter of fact, I had to go back and recheck that I wasn't on the S-10 forum when first replying to this! And as far as the motor, ya, ya, ya... Your right. My bad. I guess I was dwelling too much on the 2nd post and assuming that it was a s-10. That was the first thing that cmame to mind.

Corey,
88K- (read that "K FRIGGIN 5) -5

My apology...

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.