96 k1500 rear axle seal is leaking, job????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2002, 10:29 AM
Journeyman

DGs_97_Z71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 96 k1500 rear axle seal is leaking, job?????

Hi,
I just noticed the left rear axle seal is leaking on my 96 k1500 Z71 4x4, 108,000 miles. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I found some gear oil on the inner side of the brake drum and on the edge of the rear shoes during an inspection/rotation.

What is involved in pulling the seal and the bearing? I have pulled apart passenger car 10/12 bolt open rears, is the truck much different? I have an open rear end with 10 bolts?

I assume the bearing is pressed on to the axle.

Do I figure on 2 seals, 2 bearings 2 quarts of 90 WT gear oil. I mean if the left one is leaking the right can't be far behind? If the bearing is pressed into the housing I'll have to rent a puller, otherwise they have a press at the auto hobby shop on base.

How much time (ballpark) wise do I need to set aside for this job? [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2002, 06:14 PM
Veteran

REBEL_WITH_A_4X4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 96 k1500 rear axle seal is leaking, job?????

Go to the auto parts store that you trust for parts, then stop by autozone to rent the tool. Not a hard job at all. If you've seen the other axles you've mentioned apart, you should know what to to. My first thought was that I'd have to ask you about the bearings, but I see you already know that you should replace them [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] . BTW, I believe the bearing is in the tube, not on the axle, but what do I know - I mainly worked on my 3/4 ton with the 14 bolt, the 10 bolt has so far (knock on wood) held up. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-29-2002, 09:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

rabel, your right, its prassed into the tube, not onto the shaft.

i replaced mine, you don't want to know how i got the bearings off of the axle.

they have two kinds of replacement bearings for those, one is like the original, and one called repair bearing, its supposed to be for those who have quite a fiew miles on the axle shafts, which one would you or will you go with? i went with originals but i think repair ones would be a better move but they have the seals permenatly attached to them, and i don't like that.
Old 09-29-2002, 09:38 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

wrath is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't bother with the bearings, they're probably still good. Go buy two seals for $4/each (buy the expensive ones). Get 4 quarts of oil, you should only need 3 though.

Replacing the seals is easy. Pull everything down to the drums. Yank the differential cover and drain everything. I lift one side of the truck at a time to drain the oil out of the tubes. Wipe out everything. Yank the center pin and then yank the c-clips. Pull axles out without dragging in the tubes. Pull old seals and put new ones in with a monster socket or a piece of flatstock. Cover the seal with oil and slide the axle back in without resting on the seal or scraping the tube. Reassemble.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

why such causion with not rubbing the inside of the axle tube? crud?
Old 09-30-2002, 07:28 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

wrath is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeap.

Plus, if you've got a lot of axle outside of the tube and it drags you're putting a lot of stress on the seal by doing that.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:50 PM
Scotty

Ok...On my 92 K1500 I'm going through the same junk. Except that damn diff. pin bolt was busted [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Antways the right bearing needed to be replace so I'll do the left also. But I CANNOT get the old bearings out. Right now I'm trying the method in the book with a bearing puller and a slide hammer, and have used a torch to heat up the housing with no luck. What should I try next [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.