14 bolt drum brakes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2000, 09:58 AM
Zooman

Default 14 bolt drum brakes

I want to replace the rear brakes and brake lines on my 14bolt rear axle(1978 chev 3/4) before I put my box back on. But my manual only covers 1/2 ton rear brakes. The drums are severely rusted and I can't figure out how to get them off. I thought that they would just pull off like any other drum I have worked with. I would appreciate any help with this. I am going to keep searching the net to see if I can find anything.
Thanks alot.

Zooman

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]<font color=blue>78 Chevy 3/4 in the rough</font color=blue>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2000, 10:31 AM
Veteran

RyanB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 14 bolt drum brakes

I had the same problem with my one drum on my 14-bolt last time I did a brake job on the truck. (sold the truck so it won't happen anymore!!!!) Anyway, no matter how hard I tried to pull it off it wouldn't come off. Turns out one of the springs inside had bust pushing the pads against the drum. After over an hour of trying almost everything I finally got pissed enough and went into my wood shop and got the largest I-Beam clam I have and went back out to the truck. I clamped it on with the I-beam going between the lug bolts. Then all I did was go the end of the clamp and just wiggle it back and forth. Amazingly it let loose right away. There was just enough leverage there to pop it loose. The clam I used was a 60"

Anyway, Im not sure if your problem is the same as mine but it did work for me.
Not exactly the "MECHANIC" way of going about it but it worked and thats all I cared about. Good luck....Ryan

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-26-2000, 11:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Sandman_454 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you must have a Haynes manual for that truck, because I have one and I remember looking for exactly the same thing, but couldn't figure out how to get the drums off of my 14 bolt FF. I'm still not totally sure how to do that... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 35x12.5s
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] '85 S15 4x4 2.8l, 235/75's
Old 03-26-2000, 11:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are talking about the semi-floater 14, I just had the same problem with an axle I bought for my 92. The brake set up is almost exactly the same as the 10 bolt. The brake adjuster can be accessed from a "knock out" at the bottom of the backing plate. Use a small chisel to remove it, then a brake tool or a flat blade screwdriver can be used to torn the star wheel to release the brakes. My drums were so rustet to the axle flange that I had to pull the diff cover and remove the c-clips on the axle. I then removed axle and drums. Once it was off the truck, I put the lug nuts back on loosely, and dropped thr axle on the sidewalk against the lug nuts. Be careful to inspect the studs after you are done, as this may loosen one or two. GOOD LUCK!!

Old 03-26-2000, 11:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I love the creativity of true gearheads...I ain't a mechanic either...just reminds me of something I heard once..."If all ya got is a hammer...everything looks like a nail"...I love this site...JD

Old 03-26-2000, 07:08 PM
Zooman

I appreciate the help. It is a full floating 14 bolt. I will keep looking how to get these damm things off. What part exactly comes off? Does the drum slide off where the axle shaft bolts on. I am just guessing???
Thanks again

Zooman

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]<font color=blue>78 Chevy 3/4 in the rough</font color=blue>
Old 03-26-2000, 07:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK, well the full floater is a completely different animal! I personally have never done one of those, but I am told it is just like taking the rotors off the front of a 4X4. The six or eight bolts that hold the axle in are removed and the axle shaft pulls out. there should then be a locking/adjusting nut for the wheel bearings. Once those are removed the outer bearing will come out, and the hub removed. If I am wrong, I appoligize in advance! LATER!

Old 03-27-2000, 01:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

First:
Pull the axle shaft. This is done by loosening all the bolts on the center hub and pulling the entire shaft on each side. Have fun with the gear oil dripping on the wheel then the floor.

Second:
Loosen the brake shoes by turning the star wheel (behind the small thin covers on the backing plate) using a flat blade screw driver or whatever. You might have to turn it alot since a groove is usually in the drum making the hub impossible to remove.

third:
Pull the drum!

forth:
Go have a beer, you deserve it!

Speaking of brakes, I have a brand new set of shoes never used still in box for a FF 14 bolt if anyone is interested. $10 plus shipping

Shawn
87 K5

Old 03-27-2000, 08:56 AM
Zooman

Thanks Shawn. I will be giving this a whirl next weekend. And about the third step(drink beer) I will be having several dozen when I am done. I am also going to be replacing the rear brake lines to.
Thanks alot

Zooman

Old 03-27-2000, 05:28 PM
Veteran

RyanB is an unknown quantity at this point

a couple dozen huh....Thats like a 50 or 60 american beers... Candian beer ROCKS!!!!!!!!

lol, good luck with that brake job anyway....Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement