Off Roading Forums banner

What's a PTO?

3K views 2 replies 0 participants last post by  deepnsteeP 
G
#1 ·
What\'s a PTO?

I know this is probably a dumb question, but what is a PTO? I've seen different posts here and there about PTO and I have no clue what it is. I've also heard of PTO winches. What makes it different? Thanks for the input.

G
#2 ·
Re: What\'s a PTO?

Power Take Off. It runs directly off a gearbox connected directly or indirectly to the motor. It's what's on the back of tractors to operate mowers, etc. Early Jeeps even had them on the back as Willy's was trying to market the CJ as a small tractor (much as the Unimog is STILL marketed). Many transfer cases have PTO outputs that can run winches & other accessories. They're probably the most durable & reliable form of winches because there are no electric motors to go out & no drain on the battery/alternator occurs. The downside is the cost, availability, & the fact that if the engine stops, so does the winch. For heavy-duty applications like tow trucks, or logging skidders, a PTO winch would be the only way to go IMO (In My Opinion). But, electric makes a lot of sense for recreational use.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.