Full Floater 14 bolt-6 Lug Conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2000, 08:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Full Floater 14 bolt-6 Lug Conversion

I have heard that there is a company that will convert a 8 Lug FUll FLOATING 14 bolt rear axle to 6 lug. Is this true and if so does anybody know where the co. is located and how to get hold of them, and how much it costs?

Thanks
Depdog

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2000, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Full Floater 14 bolt-6 Lug Conversion

Yes you can get a 14 bolt FF converted to 6 lug. Try Drivetrain direct in Las Vegas. They start at $1700 and go up, depending on options. Here is the catch. The six lug has the semi-floater ends installed, so it really isn't a FF anymore. You do get the larger ring and pinon gears though.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-07-2000, 11:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't think it's going to be possible to have a 6 lug full floating 14-bolt unless a completely new hub assembly and axle shaft are made (maybe something like Warn's conversion kit). The reason is the diameter of the hub that the wheel would have to fit over, which is at least 4 1/2 inches in diameter, which when trying to use a 6 on 5.5" bolt pattern would only give you maybe an 1/4" of material in the rim between the bolt hole and the hub making the strength of the wheel questionable, and there would be very little or no room at all to install the lug nuts. Now I'm sure there is someone out there capable of making it work, but I'm sure it would involve quite a bit of work.

6.2Blazer
Old 02-07-2000, 02:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would like to see a company make a kit that would convert a 9.5" 14 bolt to full floating. the ring gear is only 1/4" smaller than a d60, and it would be easier for it to fit six lug wheels. also, an ARB can be installed in this housing, which is nice for daily drivers that are also trail trucks

Old 02-07-2000, 04:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

there is a guy in lakeland fla that will convert your existing 14 blt ff to 6 lug you only need to send him the brake hud and drum
it is called differential engineering his name is steve i will get a # and post back

Old 02-07-2000, 07:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Dep, I am currently doing my own conversion up in Duluth (45 min. away). The hubs are at the machine shop right now. The diff is going in a 76 short box 402 with a TH700r4 trans. It is going to have a Detroit Locker rear and a TruTrac front. The guy who owns the truck is good friends with Roy who was driving the Scout from Tennessee you wrote about. He builds some hardcore stuff and you are welcome to come into our shop and see it when it is done. He also has a Suburban that is getting toploaders.

Old 02-07-2000, 08:43 PM
kona_joe

If the 14 Bolt FF has a hub & axle flange o.d of around 4.5" and the 6 lug uses a 5.5" bolt circle....how do you put the lugs nuts on? Is it really safe to remove that much material from the hub or rim? Why not just buy 16 or 16.5 X whatever width rims?

KJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement