"4x4" vs "Z71" differences? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2000, 11:24 PM
Old Hand

v8jeep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default \"4x4\" vs \"Z71\" differences?

What is the difference between a "4x4" and a "Z71". I have a '96 GMC K1500 "4x4" and want to convert it to a Z71. I know that
Z71's come with different rear shocks, a metal front skid plate (not plastic), and a tow package. And of course the sticker on
the rear quarter panel! Any other differences??

Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp, 3" body, 33's, 283 Chevy V8, TH350, 4.11's, D30, D35c
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2000, 12:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: \"4x4\" vs \"Z71\" differences?

I own a 06 chevy `1500 and i have looked into the same thing trying to figure out what exactly hte z71 is. All i could find that it is what you said shocks , skid plates, sticker, tow package. Alot of people seemed to think that it also involes a stock suspension lift kit, i disagrees...after looking at the suspension and comparing it to others., But i did agree that it is possible that it comes with a stock body lift. the body pucks seem to be pretty big and quite a bit of the frame shows underneath the cab area. If any one has any info on this or i am mistaken...please post and let me know.........

bigbluez71
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-06-2000, 03:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I own a 97 4x4, from what I can tell, Bilstein shocks and skid plates. I looked at a lot of window stickers before I bought my 4x4, Z71 was a $270 option. The tow package is a different package, as was the heavy duty chassis equipment package. I replaced my shocks with Bilsteins from Auto Zone($50 each), rode a lot better. Don't buy them from the dealer($170 each), there a little over priced.

You can't sell a truck down here unless it is a Z71. There is a dealer in Brownfield, Texas that puts Z71 stickers on trucks that are not a Z71. Ever seen a 3/4 ton Z71? I have, just go to Brownfield.

Just a farmer, who drinks to much coffee.
Old 02-06-2000, 03:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shocks, skid plates, and a sticker, from my understanding. All a marketing ploy to bilk consumers if you ask me.

Marc
Contagious Off-Road
Old 02-06-2000, 03:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Okay here is what www.carpoint.com has listed as the Z-71 package

46-mm monotube shock absorbers (blisteins)
Off-Road spring assisted Microcellular Jounce Bumpers (huh???)
Upgraded Front Stabilizer Bar
Rear Stabilizer Bar
Skid Plate Package
Front Diff. Skid Plate
Transfer Case Skid Plate
High Capacity engine air cleaner/filter
Z71 Decal

and thats all i know

Ryan

-I shoulda been a cowboy-
Old 02-06-2000, 05:33 PM

Shorts is on a distinguished road

not another '4x4' vs 'z71' conversation again. just put a sticker on the side. if you really want the absolute final word, call GM and ask about the leaf springs and the difference between the 2wd, 4wd, HD, and standard duty trucks. of course, the replies above are right. grab a truck brochure from the dealer or go to www.z71.com and read the archived discussion forum. there are a million posts about the 4x4/z71 mystery. i'll probably get flamed for being harsh, but, i just had to let that one out.

Shorts
Old 02-06-2000, 06:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Sandman_454 is an unknown quantity at this point

I ain't gonna flame you, at least you didn't go around calling them "stupid" or things like the other guys I had made comments about (their insulting the rest of us, and seemingly looking to start some type of fight) had sort of done... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Old 02-06-2000, 07:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

have you r seen a 2wd z71 I don't know but seems they are in ky car lots anyway

Old 02-07-2000, 01:38 AM

Shorts is on a distinguished road

haha.........i've seen 2wd z71s. and i just feel like walking up to the owner just to laugh in his face. if it's the attention he wants, well then attention is what i'll give 'em

Shorts
Old 09-10-2000, 11:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to comment on the Z71 chevy s10 I saw today!
What a joke.hee
hee

<b><center>Z71</center></b>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement